Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Monday

Thing are heating up, but I got a lot accomplished yesterday. I finally started sorting through Christmas presents in order to separate out those that had to be immediately wrapped, sent, written, and/or otherwise handled. That included two going to Arizona, plus Betty's gift, and more.

I had wrapped Betty's in a box on Sunday, but now realized I had no box left for the Arizona ones. Realizing I could put Betty's in a pretty gift bag instead, I gritted my teeth and tore off the wrappings. Put in the to-go ones (a matching scarf, gloves, and hat in blue wool and a box of truffles), wrapped the box in Christmas, then brown paper, and it was done. 

I then worked out how to present the two name verse cards for Julie and Jim (ha-they sound like a couple, but they don't even know each other). I have large Christmas tree, wreath, and other holiday stamps (the kind you ink and press on to paper yourself) and used the plain white stock I get from Michael's to stamp them. Added sparkly snowflakes and they came out pretty good, although I'm no artist.

Hightailed it to the P.O., which was, of course, jammed, but I didn't mind. Took about a half-hour, but got the package and cards mailed off and bought some Christmas stamps. Had one of my sketchy lunches when I got home, then tackled making "Reese's"  peanut butter cups. The recipe's pretty simple, but the execution is messy--at least, it was in my hands. You mix peanut butter and powdered sugar and form little, inch-around patties, chill, then covered with melted chocolate. Sounds simple, doesn't it? Well, it's simple, but it also makes a big mix--at least I did. Here are my candies when I first made them--it was very difficult to get the damn chocolate into the muffin cups! 

What's ironic is I never liked Reese's, even when I was a kid. Okay, next I'm makine chocolate-covered mixed nuts, which look easier. 

Stella surprised me by calling to wish me happy birthday; she thought I was still in Jersey. Her son, Joshua, who lives in Spain, was visiting. I'd love to get to meet him sometime--he's a dancer and also a yoga instructor

Olivia came over with a huge bouquet and birthday card and another two avocados. I thanked her, of course, and invited her in, but in truth, I can't use that many avocados (I'll take them to Santa Barbara today) and the bouquet is just another thing I have to deal with. Plus, I was pretty busy, but she didn't stay long. I'll try to remember to leave off some small gift for her, if I get a chance.

Ellen called and we formed up the plans for today. She said Carolyn would try to get Betty in the car (she's had difficulty), so we can celebrate our birthday at her house. El will pick me up at 11:00, then we'll go to Santa Barbara. After, I'll stay overnight at El's and we'll leave for L.A. and the Monet experience at 8:15 am on Wednesday--YAY! 

Eighty-five today and I have all kinds of soulful words of wisdom gleaned from my vast trove of experience and years of introspection and--NOT!  


1 comment:

Pat said...

Happy Birthday friend. Enjoy it all.

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...