Saturday, December 25, 2021

The Eve

Mike came at 7:30--so good to see him!--and we had a sketchy breakfast of oatmeal. Packed up the presents and so on--an enormous pile--and took off for Ellen's Said hello to her and Greg (he was just leaving for work), dropped some of the gifts and my suitcase off, and drove to Santa Barbara. 

I was just charmed by the house they rented. It's what I think is called a craftsman cottage, built in the twenties, but thoroughly restored inside and out. The owner is a contractor and she had the woodwork--floors, doors, archway surrounds brought back in the original (teak, oak, or something). Happily, she didn't keep the original kitchen two bathrooms: Those are thoroughly in keeping with the style, but of course, all new and up-to-date. It would be just perfect for me and I jokingly said I'd like to buy it. Cost? One point six mil.

Loved seeing my daughter-in-law and darling granddaughters and we had a fine time together. Went to the supermarket for lunch items, talked, laughed, and so on, had lunch, then Ellen got there and after chatting for a bit, Mike took the girls to Carolyn's to see Claire, and we four went to the Santa Barbara cemetery. We all like them and this one's beautiful; it's set on gently rolling hills and overlooks the Pacific. We wandered around reading tombstones' and Paula declared she wanted to be buried there. I reminded them of who soulfully considerate I am, in that I'm already posted, so to speak, on Pat's tombstone--everything there but the date.

We then went to the pier--you can actually park on it--joining the crowds who had the same idea. One of the highpoints of the day was the appearance of an enormous and brilliant rainbow--or rainbows--that persisted for hours. We all took pictures of it and, when I'm able, I'll post some here. Was it a Christmas miracle or an easily explained meteorological phenomenon.  One of the many things for which I'm grateful is that I have a family of--cynics? Or realists? 

Back to the house where we said goodbye (they'll be here today for Christmas), then El and I drove back to her place, had dinner, watched something or other on TV, during which I fell asleep. Soon went to bed and slept like a rock.  Good, good times and Mike and fam will be here today.

Note: On a later entry, I'll put on a few pictures.

Further Note: It's iffy whether I'll be able to make another entry until I get home, which may or may not be tomorrow (Sunday).


No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...