Monday, December 20, 2021

Julie, Jim, And The Jesuits

Julie picked me up at 10:30 and we went to the farmers market at the Oxnard waterfront. What a neat setting and what a terrific outing. It was cool, but sunny, so comfortable. I bought the biggest cauliflower I'd ever seen and, for my daughter-in-law,  an incense holder, a squared-off brandy bottle, hand-painted with a butterfly motif, which came with 30 incense stalks. I was able to pick my own scents and they included "frankincense," "tangerine," "warm vanilla sugar," and "sex on the beach." (You can be sure I wasn't going to skip that one!) I talked to the woman who owns the stall and had painted the bottles--very interesting.

Home and I had a quick lunch, cut up the cauliflower and put it in the slow cooker, then got my cart and walked to Wal-Mart. I was actually able to find a long cardigan-type sweater, but without buttons, which I think will be good for Betty. I also got the things I need to make peanut butter cups and chocolate-covered nuts. 

Finally finished the Jim rhyme and will try to do the cards for him and Julie today. Must also wrap a final gift and take to P.O. Here's the rhyme:

J esuits invested

I n a pious goal:

M aking little Jimmie

C atholic with a soul;

R egrettfully, the project died

O r maybe it was cursed

W hen Locke and Hobbes and Nietzsche

L aughing, did their worst!

Y our friend, Rosemary

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Note: Jim was educated by Jesuits, no longer practices, and teaches philosophy at Ventura College, which, I hope, explains the references. The names mentioned did, of course, belong to well-known philosophers of the past. 


No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...