Monday, January 20, 2020

Bombay, Bangkok, and My Brothers

Because of the lousy cold, I made the reluctant decision to stay in all day. I had a good-sized basket of onions and a lot of garlic cloves (why I bought them is beyond me) and I trimmed and seasoned them and put each in their individual clay cookers. Put them in the oven and turned my attention to other matters.
Such as? Such as the Internet, where I did this and that until my brother, Larry, the Florida one, called. Did I know that our brother, Jim, was moving to Bombay*?  WHAT?!  Jim turned 94 two weeks ago and lives in Virginia: The idea that he'd move to India seemed impossible.
After chatting with Larry, I told him I'd call Jim, and I did. It turned out he and Therese are not moving to Bombay, but Bangkok, a mere 1800 miles away from there. Their daughter, Chrissy (that's what she's called, although she's in her middle fifties and a CPA, which always grate on me) is with the Foreign Service and is assigned there for two years (or more--not sure). She lives five minutes from them and is their major caregiver, so her parents will go with her. Geez, I hope all goes well.
I talked to Therese, too, who revealed she's be 90 on her next birthday. I didn't realize she was that old, as she really does seem to have it all together compared to some of the rest of us. I told her Thailand was one of my favorite places in Asia. Also said I'll be in Jersey in June and would love to visit them then. She said they'd like that, but assured me they'd both probably be dead by then. She has a wry sense of humor--one of the things I like most about her--but I don't think she was kidding.
Called Larry back to correct the info, then thought I might as well go for the trio, and called brother Frank, in Alameda. He got a new phone because his old one accidentally got washed with the laundry. Frank always seems better put together mentally than Betty, but I know that's an illusion, as I only talk to him for short periods on the phone. Anyway, I told  him the news about Jim and he marveled at it, but I know he forgot it as soon as we hung up.
I had to--had to!--get out, at least for a little time, so walked over to Von's for a few things. When I got back, Suzanne was sweeping our walkway. She invited me in to see her new orchid and asked if I wanted some of the broccoli soup which she just about finished. Yes, indeed, and she brought be over a bowl in a few minutes.
Got an email from Terri M., asking if I wanted to go to the Century today and see "Jojo Dollie" before the widder dinner. I had never heard of it, looked at the Century and found it's actually called Jojo Rabbit. Judging from the trailer and reviews, it seems to be a kid's version of comic Nazism--or something. I guess I'd rather sit through that than hang by my thumbs for three days--got back to Terri to tell her I had other plans, but would see her at dinner.
I looked up the audition info for Fractured Actors next show, opening in April, and reluctantly decided there just isn't a part for me. Okay, I'll keep working on my stuff and hope I can interest Jeff or someone else in staging them.
Happy day, my cold seems to be waning and I slept soundly; didn't get up until 6:00 and I feel pretty good. 
* Re-named Mumbai in 1996
 

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...