Friday, January 24, 2020

Death And Taxes

Happily, the chest cold seems to have changed its mind. I feel much better now, maybe because I took it a little easy yesterday. I had meant to buy Mucinex (or a knockoff thereof), but I completely forgot it; don't think I need it now.
I was pleased to get a call from my niece, Chrissy, Jim's daughter, asking me when Jim's and my father was born--1898 or 1899? I have family documents in a binder and was able to find Dad's birth certificate right away; it was November 21, 1899. (Does that make me feel old? Yes.) I looked it up and, coincidentally, my mother died almost exactly a century later:  November 12, 1999.
I had a good long talk with Chris, who told me they'll actually be gone for four years, not two. This will be her last assignment, as she plans to retire after, although she's only 55. She urged me to visit and I definitely will plan to go there and to Mike's in Singapore, as well. That's only 880 miles or so from Thailand, although Japan is a lot farther--2860 miles, so I don't know if that's in the cards.
After breakfast, I hopped a bus to the mall, mostly just to get some walking in. Stopped at various stores, including Sears (closing), Penney's (probably closing soon), and Macy's and Target (who knows?). I saw many smaller stores closed and what I didn't see were many shoppers. The place was deserted, as it has been almost every time I'm there.
Home, had lunch, then actually took a nap. Did this and that after, just inconsequential little things, and felt draggy and mopey. This led me to indulging in the baked apple I had in the fridge, plus some pretzels, but I wasn't too upset over that. When I weigh in shortly, I may have gained, but I'm sure not by much.
Started pulling together some of my tax stuff, although I probably won't send it all to Michelle for another month or so. About 5:00, I put on my light coat (the weather improved, meaning it warmed up) and went out, but just to walk around the apartment complex for 45 or so. I've lived here two years, and it isn't a huge place, yet I had never really traversed all of it. Did so, and it felt good.
Stopped over at Von's, then came home. I skipped dinner because I had had the pretzels. Cheryl will pick me up for T.O.P.S. shortly.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...