Monday, January 06, 2020

Active And Mostly Good Day

Good day--well it was good early on--better than the usual pokey Sundays.
The big news is that my Tokyo son and his family will come here for a week in March--YAY!  I haven't seen them for three years, except on the Internet and Ellen has already volunteered to host them. I was hoping my other children could be here at the same time, but that doesn't seem to be possible, and I'm okay with that.
There were lots of phone calls regarding my upcoming trip to Arizona. I'm not recording when or exactly where until I come back, but happily, we seem to have found an AirBnB in the perfect spot. See later, though, when I went though hell booking my flights.
Yet more travel news: My nephew, Dave, messaged us (Ellen, Carolyn, and me) that he and Polly will be here in a few weeks on their way to New Zealand, and we'll meet for lunch in Ventura at Lure. That should be fun.
I did the usual in the morning, then walked the back way over the bridge to the library. I ran into Steve (Koren last name), whom I knew from the adult center and we had a long chat. Took a few books out, including The Downton Abbey Cook Book (am I nuts?) and some DVDs, then walked to Wal-Mart to pick up a few things. (I still have twenty bucks on the gift card). I walked home, rather than take the  bus, so got in a good four miles, at least. Scrubbed and trimmed the pound of carrots I had just bought, added a quartered tangerine and cinnamon, then put them to simmer in the smaller slow cooker. Lunched, then went to down to the big library and walked the Main loop. I didn't get home until almost 6:00, at which point, I made the mistake of trying to book my flight for the trip through Expedia.
I won't even go into the frustration I ran into with their from-hell web site, but it entailed three different attempts and a long phone call, which terminated in--I assume it was an accident--a hang-up.  By this time, it was almost 7:00 and I hadn't had dinner, so was tired and hungry, hardly at my best.  El called when I was almost in tears (actually, I'm embarrassed to record, I was in tears) and "talked me down," as the saying goes. She advised me to have dinner and wait until today to try again, reminding me that I could simply call the airline. Good advice and as ever, after talking with her, I felt a lot better.
I did have dinner--I had oven-cooked a lovely piece of swordfish and ate it with the oranges--but decided to make one last attempt and, incredibly, was able to book my flights without a hitch.  The icing on the cake is, that it was so cheap--only $137 round trip. I'm so used to spending big bucks on trips to Jersey, this seems as if it's practically free.
Lunch with Soaring Spirits today.
 

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...