Thursday, January 09, 2020

I Go Ape For Asterisks!*

I was pleased to see this on Facebook and you can be sure I'll be there this evening:**

Got to the dentist's early (as if I was anxious to be there--ha!), filled out paperwork, and waited nervously. The tech took x-rays, somebody else came in to talk to me, then I met the dentist, Dr. G. (Her last name is long and complicated--not sure of the ethnicity--and everybody calls her "Dr. G.") Nice enough and she gave me the bad news--oh, yes, this will be both extensive and expensive, which doesn't surprise me, as I haven't been to the dentist for five years. I have this absolute terror of it,having been traumatized as a child during World War II.*** Made an appointment for a cleaning for the end of January; after that will come the major stuff, but it involves an oral surgeon and I'm putting that off for a bit.
Took the 11 bus from there to WinCo for Spinach and Brussels sprouts. Home, had lunch, then took the 6 to town. Did my usual walk up Main, then went back to the library to pick up my  requested book, Downton Abbey, The Official Film Companion.**** 
Made a light dinner of chicken and the entire bag of fresh spinach.*****    
*I'm in a silly mood!
**I'm not crazy about the "impeach" flag; it muddies the waters, I think. Also, I'm afraid this is a heavily partisan dem crowd, but any pacifistic port in a storm, I guess...
***Most the of dentists had been conscripted and only the old and incompetent were left stateside.
****Yes, I'm still suffering from my Downton obsession, but I think it's healing.
*****The bag said "3.5 serving," but I ate it all--I LOVE FRESH SPINACH!



2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary, I can't believe it's been 5 years. You wrote about it back then, but it doesn't seem that long. Wow! I believe there are dentist who will do the work under anesthesia. Have you considered that? It'd be what is called 'conscious sedation'. When I had periodontal work years ago I was not unconscious, but I didn't feel a thing. Check it out for a reputable dentist. No need to be terrified if there is a way to avoid it. Broke me up about the conscripted guys leaving behind the incompetent. I remember having my cavities filled without novocaine...must have been one of the left behind ones.

Conscious sedation is used for colonoscopies for example. You're not unconscious...just in la la land. I recommend it.

Mimi said...

Pat, thanks for the suggestion. I already told them I want deep sedation/general anesthesia (which would run from $310 a half-hour), but you've given me food for thought. I think I'll go back and discuss the conscious sedation possibility. I had it for colonoscopies myself and it was okay. BTW, I didn't mention this, but will now: This will be for extractions, so major stuff. I'm not sure if I want to be conscious or not.
And THANK YOU, for confirming the info about the dentists going to war--I get a lot of skepticism when I mention how I had dental work as a kid without Novocain or anything else.

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...