Friday, January 10, 2020

Anti-War Rally--Sort Of

Walked to Smart 'n' Final for romaine and blueberries. This is about a mile-and-a-half one way down Telegraph Road and I didn't bother to check the weather before setting out.  After all, it was bright and sunny when I started out, so what could go wrong? Halfway there, it felt colder and the wind kicked up. Another block and rain started to fall. However, my sun hat helped and luckily, it stopped by the time I finished my little bit of shopping.
The rest of the day until I left for the rally was spent on the laptop and paperwork. Nephew, Steve's wife, Robyn, the costumer, messaged me, saying she'd make me an outfit for the fishmonger lady I play at the Maritime Museum, if I'd send her a pic of the Dutch painting the woman is in. I scanned it, but it took me an age to edit so I could make the outfit clearer. We talked later and we discussed it.
Left to walk down Victoria for 5:00 pm rally. There were a fair number of people there and lots and lots of horn blowing of approval from drivers. I was pleased to meet Bob, Cheryl's husband (she picks me up for T.O.P.S. every Friday and will shortly). Bob is active in Veterans for Peace in Ventura.
Good grief, we must have known each other in another life! Our ideas and beliefs are so much in sync, it was amazing--and thrilling--to meet someone who didn't think war and aggression was any more attractive under democrats than republicans.
And there was the rub. There were people from a number of other organizations there who style themselves pro-peace, but were clearly Trump-haters first with pacifism a distant second. They carried signs that read "Impeach," "Dump Trump," and so on/
Do I think Trump is a lunatic? Oh, yes, indeed, and the fact that he and his henchmen (and women) recently committed out-and-out murder in killing an official of another sovereign country would damn him forever in my eyes to begin with. But to make this a hybrid anti-war/anti-Trump rally simply muddies the waters and dilutes the message (okay, a mixed metaphor there, so shoot me). One woman, the head of something called "Indivisible" was so vehement that I must vote and vote for anybody the dems put up, she seemed crazed. I wanted to ask how many anti-war rallies she attended while Clinton or Obama were in. I think I know. I was glad, though, to see a number of younger people there. They're the ones who have to continue the anti-war movement--if there ever is one.
Anyway, I stayed for about an hour, then walked home. Here are some pics:
I didn't get any of the anti-prez ones, but if they're in the Ventura Star, I'll add them.


No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...