Friday, September 20, 2019

Happy Hour And Vanessa

Spent the morning on food prep (roast tomatoes/onions/garlic/spices) and a few household chores. Drove to WinCo for fajitas and stuff.
After lunch, I got a bus to town and took my library book back, then another bus to the transit center, and a third to Telephone Road for the Black Angus. Diane was already there and Nancy and Carolyn came soon after. I told them I no longer wanted to meet on Thursdays; wanted to revert back to Wednesdays. I know Nancy and Carolyn were fine with that and Diane seems okay. Next week, we'll go to some kind of towny thing on Main Street--should be fun.
We were there until about 5:30, after which Carolyn offered to take me home. I declined, as I can't stand the way she drives, and we said goodbye. Walked down to get the bus, but decided to continue on to the Barnes & Noble shopping center. Did that, sat for a bit, then continued on to Victoria and got the bus there. That meant I did about two miles, which was good.
As I sat at the bus stop, I fell into conversation with a young woman named Vanessa. She just got out of jail for ignoring a warrant (not sure why they served her, as her boyfriend was convicted of domestic violence on her). Before that, she had a brain aneurysm and almost died; I could see that the left side of her head was swollen. Incredibly, she has four-year-old twins, although her three other children are in their middle twenties.  I liked her so much and wished her well.
Living my placid, middle-class, coddled life, and knowing mostly only people who do the same, it's important, I think, to be reminded of the struggle so many have. I want never to forget how privileged I am, but I often do. 

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...