Monday, September 23, 2019

FANTABULOUS!

Now that was a party that was a party!
Image may contain: night
Above: This is what was on the street marquee when we arrived at the fiftieth birthday party for my nephew, "SA" (Stephen Anthony) Johnson.
Carolyn drove and she, Anne Halpin, and Betty stopped for me, then off we went to L.A. Got to Steve and Robyn's about 5:00, chatted for a bit, then Carolyn's husband, Dana, and their daughter, Claire, blew in. (Dana had to leave early on Sunday, as he had some job-related obligations.) My brother, Frank's daughter, Francine, and husband, Charlie, drove down from Alameda, and it was great to see them. Robyn and I went off to get chicken and sides from a Persian restaurant, after which dinner was laid out and we all happily served ourselves. Steve and Robyn left at 7:00 to help prepare for the party and we followed an hour later. Before we left, we were given fezzes and it just now occurred to me why: To distinguish family members from the rest of the guest list of seventy.
It was held at the CIA (California Institute of Abnormalarts) nightclub in Burbank. The place is almost indescribable, but maybe these pictures will help:
20190921_223418_resized.jpg20190921_213221_resized.jpg
Image may contain: 1 personImage may contain: indoor
Image may contain: 11 people, people smiling, people standing, night and indoorImage may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people standing
Above: Steve, the birthday boy is in front, his wife, Robyn is on his left, and Anne Halpin is on his right.
We were treated to a puppet show (Robyn is a costumer and has  the puppeteer as a client); a ventriloquist who was hysterically funny in a naughty-language way; ghostly creatures; and much more. The band (not shown) was incredibly loud, but I love anything with a strong beat and hey, it was strong. At one point, the lead guitarist jumped off the stage and onto the floor, poured a bottle of beer over his head, then smashed it, and used a broken piece to strum. Sounds horrible and gross, but it was hysterical. All these entertainers are friends of Steve and Robyn's; in fact, the guy at the microphone in the first picture (he has Marfan syndrome, so is very tall) actually officiated at their wedding fifteen years ago. He got his marrying certificate just for that.
I  had a glass of Chardonnay with dinner, then two beers, and another Chardonnay, and a gin and tonic at the club. You'd think that would knock me out, but no, they didn't seem to affect me at all. I usually go to bed at 9:00 and had thought sure I'd ask to be taken to the AirBnB early, but far from it--we stayed until midnight when the party broke up, then sat up talking until after 1:30.
Betty, Anne, Wes, and I stayed at the AirBnB, which was a small house and comfortable. We all slept late, then gathered again at Steve and Robyn's for a late breakfast.  I got a call from my brother, Jim, who sounded a little vague and hesitant, more so than when I talked to him last.
We stayed talking and laughing happily until 2:00 when we finally left with many thanks and hugs. Once I got home, I went  immediately out to get grapes and stuff and to Office Max to see why my keyboard stopped working. Bo-in-g--it needed batteries, I put them in and it's fine.
Anyway, the party was an absolutely incredible, bang-up experience and I'm glad I was there. 🎂🎂🎂🎂

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...