Sunday, September 01, 2019

Closing Night

Happily, I'm restored to my usual buoyancy and I credit my walking yesterday as the reason. Usually, I go to town after lunch, but this time (after a sojourn to Von's, which is on the next block), I took the bus to town, walked The Promenade, then the back-to-Main loop, then walked several blocks more before getting the bus back to the east end. I got off midway to the 99-cent store to pick up some colorless nail polish, which they didn't have. Instead of getting back on a bus home, I walked to the mall transit center, which is a good mile and a half, at least. Got the bus there and was home at 2:00. That's an hour past my usual lunchtime, but I was fine with that.
Stella called while I was eating my big salad, made marvelous with the tomatoes I had planted and nurtured lovingly--okay, I watered them, that was about it--and it was delicious.
Stella, not so much. She wanted to know if I could meet for coffee because she was in town. Since she seems to be adverse to ever making plans a day or so--or even an hour--ahead, I'm getting very tired of her. She also couldn't go to the play because she couldn't find anybody to go with last night. Of course, I had told her several times about the 5:00 shows the first two weeks, but somehow, that eluded her. Drove out for cottage cheese and a few other thing, getting home about 4:00 and prepared for the last show.
Beforehand, we had a group picture taken, with the full cast at the bar. And the close? It was great! The audience was one of the best ever and it was a packed house. Our part went well, aside from G.'s usual lackluster performance, and the finale was terrific. As we did each night, we all come out on stage to clap and sway as the bank accompanies Ashley and Chris singing "Walls."  This time, there were "cannons" that shot confetti We then mingle with the audience and everybody stays to hear more songs. It's so much fun and I'll miss it.
And I'll miss the camaraderie
 and the patience of Jeff and Shannon,
 and the red wine always available in the women's dressing room,*
 and the expertise of Jen and Alex, our stage managers,
 and Lil' Gloria,
 and Shelby's voice, Janelle's voice, Shannon's voice,
 and even the tedium of hours of waiting before going on,
 and so much more.
I've been surprised at how many audience members complimented me on my performance, as I cringed when I saw the video; I'm my own worse critic.  And last night, Shannon took me aside and said she and Jeff were thrilled with finding me and want me to be with them in the future. I had told them of my own plays and skits and they want to see them.
Today, we strike the set, then have the cast party at 6:00. I made arrangements to have the Access Van take me there and take me home, as I intend to indulge.
*Since I was driving, I had only sips each night, hours before I drove home, so I don't think I violated my promise to my children not to drink and drive.


3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I can well understand how you'll miss the show. I don't check FB very often, but I did yesterday and saw your many photos. Wow! What a group you've found. Are you no longer an amateur? I assume you are a pro. Wow! The props, the music, the diversity of the age of the actors makes it sound exciting. Do I wish I could be in Fractured Actors...you bet I do. Our little show is pretty good considering what we have to work with but we don't compare to Fractured Actors. How'd you learn about the group? Of course, they don't want you to leave the group... you are so good. Maybe they'll use one of your plays.

Mimi said...

A pro? Oh, yes, I must be because I get paid so much for my performances--HA! Still an amateur, and will continue to be unless a talent scout should come knocking at my door, which is about as likely as Trump becoming literate.
As for the "age diversity" (I loved your expression), you're very perceptive in recognizing that that's a big draw for me. Much as I like many older people, especially Suzanne, Nancy, and Diane, plus others, it sometimes gets tedious to be with them exclusively. I need the stimulation of younger minds and outlooks.
BTW, has it ever occurred to you to look for auditions held by the little theatre companies in your area? There's no reason you can't do that and I wouldn't be surprised if you were cast in a show. Think about it!

iloveac said...

Yes, I've given it thought, but I guess I'm satisfied (well fairly satisfied) with what I'm doing. I will be directing our Christmas show. I believe the groups here meet at night and I don't want to commit to going out at night unless I have to. You are such an inspiration for me. Who knows?

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...