Monday, December 01, 2014

Health Insurance and Religion

Well, most of yesterday was spent talking with Anne R., the health insurance agent, and not all of it was about Horizon.  That's the outfit I'm switching to, kicking and screaming, as it's more than two thou a year over what I pay now.
A lot of the time we spent talking religion, in a sideways manner, you might say.  She goes to "Living Word" church right here in Little Egg.  It--and she--are what I'd term fundamentalist Christian, although she insisted she isn't. Anyway, we had a lively discussion.
I'm sure Anne thinks of herself as open-minded and kindly and, as is so common, when it comes to individuals, she is.  She told me of a man from Texarkana, who had come to their church with his three-year-old.  Anne and her husband helped him in various ways, and finally paid his airfare back to Texas.  Certainly, they've done other such good deeds, yet later, Anne railed about "the welfare state," established because "people didn't want to work" and "we have to pay for them."  She was honestly puzzled when I mentioned the cutthroat bankers and political whores who work together to impoverish the middle class and the poor.  She seemed to think they have no connection to the current deplorable state of affairs. She also mentioned the Jews as "God's chosen," seemingly unaware of their systematic slaughter of Palestinians.  Realizing the bible is her--well, bible--I cut the conversation short, as it seems to me pointless to discuss anything on a rational level with that mindset.
But we parted in a friendly way.  I signed the papers and late in the afternoon, took the car to Manahawkin.  Thought I'd pick up some things as Shop-Rite, but realized I had left my wallet--with license, cash, and credit cards--in the studio.  Rode guiltily back home, sure I'd be picked up for not having my license.
Best news of the day:  I bought my tickets so I can spend Christmas on the west coast.   California, here I come!    

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
I believe there can be no dialog with fundamentalist groups of any ilk. They are closed to anything not in the Bible. It's very difficult to find common ground with these folks, and I no longer try.
BTW, is your insurance for long term care? I pay $2100/yr. and I've had it for 11 years.

Mimi said...

No, I don't have long-term care insurance. I figure I'll wing it.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...