Monday, December 22, 2014

Birthday

What a great birthday!  Early on, Ellen finished decorating the tree and house, while I lazed around watching her--ha!  Greg arrived about 11:30 and shortly after, took us to Ojai in his spiffy (brand new) Honda.  On the way, son Mike called from Sydney to wish me a happy and I was able to hear the same from barely awake (it was 9 am) sweet granddaughters.  Shortly after, my friend called and we had a good, birthday-y chat.  E. and G. took me to The Farmer and the Cook, one of the multitude of healthy food restaurant in this health-conscious state and we had a good, fresh, organic, and very tasty lunch.
I've been to Ojai many times with Ellen and last year, with her and Greg, but yesterday, they treated me to terrific sites off the beaten path.  After lunch, we went to a small church-turned-bookstore and spent an enjoyable hour or so just sitting and reading, something that would drive a lot of people I know bonkers, but we like it.  I quickly skimmed a history of the medieval spice trade, which concentrated on Vienna, Lisbon, and Amsterdam.  I'll request it from the library when I get home.
After that, we drove up into the hills to the Krishtnamurti Center.
We spent about two hours at this lovely retreat, the former home of J. Kristnamuti, whose teachings--but he didn't want to  be regarded as a teacher--resonated so much with me that I bought two of his books. I'll elaborate more on him another time, but for now, am enthralled by what he wrote.
Far from the maddening crowd, this serene place includes a large building with a "quiet room"--two people were meditating there--and a large, comfortably furnished meeting room with a fireplace, large windows, and very high, arched ceilings. It's surrounded by orange trees, all heavy with fruit.
I asked what was done with the oranges and we were invited to take as many as we wanted.  We got a bag full, stopping to pull off the skin of two, and shared it on the spot.
Back in two, we went for coffee to little luncheonette on the main drag.  Betty called for our mutual birthday and I talked to her.  We then went to "The Rainbow Bridge,"* a natural foods supermarket and got some unusual take-out dishes to eat at home. After, Ellen brought out the chocolate "Sacher Torte" cake and whipped cream Linda C. had given her and held one little candle while I was sung the old song.
I was sorry to get a call from brother Frank to the effect that his Marybeth had fallen shortly before and he didn't think she was up to our reunion in King City this afternoon.  Their daughter, Maureen, will take the day off to be with her, so Frank can still meet us, but we'll miss M.
Opened my presents,which include a carryall, a magnifying glass, a gift car, and a lovely picture of my older son and his precious wife and baby boy.  I was thrilled with the whole day, but also tired, and went to bed early.

No comments:

Simply Spendid Sunday

I bused to Ojai and got there at 11:00. We waited until Ellen "did" her hair--which means using a kind of revolving brush/dryer to...