Tuesday, December 09, 2014

"What Fresh Hell is This?"

That's a quote from Dorothy Parker, the twenties acerbic wit queen. It suits yesterday, which was truly lousy, to a T.
It started early, when I got an e-mail from someone in my acting class, saying she was all set to perform at our December session today. Only problem was, I had assigned her for January.  Only other problem was that she had told me she wouldn't be here in January, which I had forgotten.  I frantically called the two others who were supposed to go on today to see they would switch. Luckily, they would, then I had to contact all parties involved to tell them.
While engaged with all this, I realized my hair looked terrible, straggly and with gray showing.  My own hairdresser is closed on Monday and how would I get another place to take me within the day?  But I did, luckily: Walked into Cutaway Salon, less than two miles from my house, about 9 am and got an appointment for 2--perfect.
What wasn't perfect was what I got from HELM, an outfit in Michigan from which I had ordered--I thought--an owner's manual for the Acura I just bought.  What they sent was a "maintenance journal," absolutely useless for me, which cost me ten bucks plus $6.95 postage.  I called to find out how to return it and was told there was a $10 "re-stocking fee" and, of course, they wouldn't return the $6.95 postage cost, so it was pointless to bother.  I was so furious I screamed over the phone, then looked up Helm's site. Found a "contact us" section and wrote out my grievance, but I kept hitting the little envelope icon to send and it wouldn't go.  Aagh!  I found another number, got a person, she gave me a direct e-mail for "customer service"--I guess they maintain the fiction they have some--and I wrote them.
I then got a communication from Facebook to the effect that I owe them twenty-five bucks for "promoting" my "Mimi's Bazaar" FB page.  I barely remember telling them to do this, but I'll just pay it, damn it, and I already took the page off.
It continues today: When I got up, I saw advisory warnings for both Ocean (where I live) and Atlantic (where my acting class is) Counties.  I still intend to drive down to Margate at 9 am, convene the class at 10, then meet Betty and friends for lunch at 1:00.  Will this come to pass?  E-mailed participants just now and told them if I didn't get to them by 9, it was still on.
You know what I want?  I want to be in California at Ellen's pool in the hot tub and never get out. 
 

No comments:

Simply Spendid Sunday

I bused to Ojai and got there at 11:00. We waited until Ellen "did" her hair--which means using a kind of revolving brush/dryer to...