Saturday, October 13, 2012

Show Two

Good grief, it's after eight am and I just got up!  No question I'm on the road to ruin...
Yesterday:  Went to Acme for pickled pigs feet, but the butcher said they hadn't carried them for years.  Tried good old Shop-Rite and why, yes, sure, they not only had p.p.p., they had two brands. 
Now who in the world eats pickled pigs feet?  I never even heard of anybody doing so.  Is it an ethnic thing, or what?  And if so, what nationality, group, or coven ever thought of eating them?  Must ask my trusty Internet.
After a smash opening, the show last night wasn't quite up to par.  My part went well (and elicited a lot of laughs--maybe because I had packed the audience with friends), but I understand there were "gaps" in the first act.  That means the deadly silence that results when somebody forgets his or her lines or cue.  Not a good thing and maybe we got complacent after the excellent Thursday night show.  In addition, we had subs for the two roles Jeff G. plays, always disconcerting.  Jeff had to go to a family wedding, so assistant director Barbara's boyfriend (the "boy" is in his middle fifties, I'd say), Mark, stepped in as an IRS agent.  He's a big, good-looking guy, but as for his acting--I think Johnny Depp can rest easy.
The other agent role was taken over by Julie S., who ordinarily plays Mrs. Kirby.  This was a real stretch.  To my knowledge, there were no female agents in the thirties.  Then, since Julie couldn't be both, director Tonya was Mrs. Kirby for the night.  Both performed adequately, but Kauffman and Hart are probably spinning in their...
We had an even larger audience than we did on Thursday; Tonya said about 75 paying customers, and at least 15 of them were friends of mine, so that was gratifying.  I was so pleased to see Louise F, who's in my Players & Playwrights group and lives in Ventnor.  She came all the way up here to Night Must Fall, too.  Think I'll suggest she go to dinner with Aline and me after the meeting next Saturday.
Okay, moving right along: after, we all went to Jim and Mary H.'s for the cast party.  Aline, Jeanne S., and l rode with Ellen V. because they live out in the woods and we didn't think we'd be able to find it. 
That was a mistake on several counts.  Ellen has a year-old, but horribly designed two-door car.  Maybe small animals and children under five can ride comfortably in the back seat, but anybody else can resign themselves to being trapped in a vinyl capsule unable to move arms or legs.  It's a little like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel, but not as comfortable. 
I remembered the cast party last year when I was in the back and said I was riding in the front, so Jeanne and Aline climbed in.
Poor Aline!  When we got there, she simply could not get out of the back seat.  I held the seat belt back and various party attendees tried to help, but Aline would get one leg out, cry out, fall back, and have to start over.  Jim, our host, who is a physician, came to help, as did various others.  Finally, after a good fifteen minutes, she got out.  Whew!
The party at the H.'s big and beautiful house--with the grounds, it's really an estate--was great, but I was tired and Ellen likes to stay up  late and sleep til ten.  The upshot was, I asked Neil and Judi if I could go back to the school to get my car with them, and Aline and Jeanne came along.  Got home about one, didn't bother with my popcorn and wine, and slept until now.
Geez, if I kept up this pace, I'd be skinny as a rail (but laid out for viewing, I'm afraid).

No comments:

Sunday

I reserved yesterday for chores.  Stripped the bed and washed the sheets while I had breakfast. It pleased me that, just as I responded to t...