Saturday, October 27, 2012

Great Show

Incredibly, considering what seemed its formlessness and lack of preparation, the murder mystery turned out to be terrific.  The place was packed and those attending were a convivial group, ready to interact with "the wedding party" and--ahem--the parents of the cheesy newly-weds.
That last is a complete fabrication; in life, "Tonya" (Sarah) and "Vinnie" (Peter) are two beautiful young people.  I noticed them smooching (a term from about 1940) while we waited outside to be "announced" by the MC/wedding singer.  A little startled that they'd carry getting into character that far, I asked.  Found out they actually are married.  She's from Oregon, he's from Sea Isle Heights, and the twain met and married as the result of appearing in a production.  Sarah was so funny with her bogus southern accent; she sounded as if she was born in the depths of the Panhandle.  Peter, my adored "son," was properly boorish, with his "des" and "dos" and ogling of other women.    
I liked them both so much and, for that matter, the rest of the young actors on the program.  "Nina" and "Rocco" (don't know their real names) especially impressed me.  She was pregnant by the wedding singer and wore a very realistic "baby bump."  He was somewhat of a upper Jersey meathead, a buddy of "the groom's."  They improvised with great skill and were consistently funny.  There were also two mature men with us "Father Prego" and "Detective Purloin," both employed in some capacity--for real--by Surflight.
There were just a few negatives: The major one was that the place was very noisy--poor acoustics, I guess--and it was hard to be heard and to hear.  Keeping in character while being served five courses was difficult, and we were seated in booths along the wall.  I had to keep jumping up to mingle and rail against the mother of the bride. It may have been better to be seated with a party of paying guests--not sure.
In any event, the show turned out to be well beyond what I expected.  This is my third murder mystery show.  The others were thoroughly scripted except during the meal, but--maybe with somewhat more structure--I prefer this.
The big news--I was stunned to hear it--is that we're getting paid!  We'll each get $100, the very first time I've been paid for a performance.  What a thrill and it's really not the money; it's the principle of the thing.
Aline was seated in a booth behind ours with the director, Kirsten and two other Surflight employees. She had called the manager (or owner--not sure) to ask if she could come and just have dessert for a $25 donation and he agreed.
The perennial chauffeur, I picked up Aline and Jeanne, and conveyed them home after, so didn't get to bed until midnight.  Slept until 7:00 and will try to take a nap today.  I'm attending the Halloween party tonight and Dine-Around Dinner tomorrow...
If, that is, Sandy doesn't blow those plans away.
  
     

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Sounds like great fun. Once you get paid you are no longer an amateur, right? Big bucks from here on. RBM is a Professional actress.

Mimi said...

Ho,ho, Pat, that's a laugh. However, it is a thrill to actually get paid. Why, with that kind of money, I can go out to dinner at least three times!

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...