Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Busy And The Body Political

Busy, busy day.  Drove over to Smithville in the morning to look for some of the candy Mike and Paula need.  They had no licorice whips, so the very nice clerk recommended "pinwheel" licorice, which you can just unroll and cut to length.  Then stopped at the Shop-Rite on Jimmie Leeds Road for a large bag of Hershey's mix, Halloween-colored M & Ms, and something else I can't remember.  Went to CVS, too, in search of individually wrapped candy corn, but they had only the loose variety.  Stopped at Santori's for feta, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts.
Had lunch, then busied myself with wrapping as well as I could the large and ungainly candy shipment.  Took it to the P.O., where I was helped off the floor after my collapse at hearing the amount of postage required.
Home again, I was delighted to find a message from Jeanne S., telling me that Kristan N., assistant director for the murder mystery show at Surflight, wanted to hear from me about possibly being a "cougar" in their show on October 26.  Sent her a picture of me from YCTIWY and a quick rundown on my stage experience.
Heard from Marilyn M., who goes up to northern Pennsy to visit her mother every weekend.  Asked if I could accompany her the first weekend in November and she said yes.  Wrote to J. and N. to see if that's convenient for them.  Sent John D., Jeanne P.'s brother, some tips and pointers on breaking into acting.  Will also ask John P., our leader at Players & Playwrights, if he knows of little theatre groups in Atlantic County.
Went to the school to see if I could find my "pigeon clock" and/or Jeanne P.'s belt, but no luck with either.  Niece Joan called at 5:00 and we had a nice chat.  Called Betty to tell her I'd be thinking of her when she has her colonscopy tomorrow.  She'll have it in the hospital in California, as she has a syndrome that causes heavy bleeding periodically.  Called Rachel K. to ask about the FELS meeting for which I signed up.  That's on Friday at the Margate Library and I'll be going downbeach on Saturday, too, for Players & Playwrights.  E-mailed Louise S. to the effect that Aline and I would like to take her to dinner after.
Went back to the school, as I knew my heartier (ha, ha, I meant "hardier," of course, but think I'll let it stand) LETCO colleagues would be striking the set.  It turned out Tonya had taken the clock home and I got it from her.
Today, I'm resolved to take my usual walk, notwithstanding the fact that Susan's in Canada.  Also want to do a lot of wash and tidy up around the place.
WIDER:   This makes for a long entry, but the following is important.  Here's an excerpt:
America is not fascist…yet, but as both a structural and a social process the trend line seems to me clear. Fascism does not require the concentration camp, persecution, torture–although their threat and potential remain present always, ready to be invoked and remaining discretely under the surface. Rather, fascism can be apprehended through a number of indices: e.g., extreme wealth concentration; the partnership of business and government, itself to promote monopoly capital, prevent union organization and labor militancy, and create a strong State predicated on military power and trade supremacy; and a compliant (and complacent) populace which is deferential to power and wealth, tied in ideological knots through false consciousness, and intellectually broken down through media, propaganda, and signals from above.
The entire essay, by Norman Pollack, is here:
http://www.counterpunch.org/

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...