Sunday, October 21, 2012

P & P

Picked Aline up at quarter of twelve and zoomed down to Ventnor on a close-to-perfect sunny day.  We had time to go on the boardwalk for a bit, then went to the Players & Playwrights By The Jersey Shore (the full name, which nobody ever uses) gathering.
As usual, it was a somewhat mixed, but generally good session : two short and funny plays, one absorbing longer part of one (our leader, John's), one interesting short one, and a turgid and talky miss (as in "hit and miss").  I was asked to read for one, but had only a line.
After, Aline and I took Louise S. to a restaurant at Little Rock Avenue--casual, but nice--and we had a good dinner and long talk.  Over L.'s protest, we treated her (wanted to show our appreciation for her coming to YCTIWY), and had a wonderful time. 
Aline and Louise were both born and brought up in Brooklyn and I was interested to hear the contrast in their speech patterns.  When my dear friend, Aline, opens her mouth, you hear the classic--sometimes delightful, occasionally annoying-- Brooklyn accent ("motha," "theata," and so on).  No so with Louise and I asked why not.  She said she had effectively rid herself of the accent--just worked at it.  I hope Aline wasn't offended or hurt, but let's face it: Accents tend to stereotype people for good or ill and also sometimes get in the way of effective communication.  I've been told I have a Jersey accent, but think it's slight and I try to watch my pronunciation and avoid saying, for instance, "sarhw," for "saw."
After dropping A. off--I was dismayed to see it was almost dark at 6:30--I called Jeanne S. to try to get some answers on the mysterious murder mystery show next Friday.  I agreed to be in it, my character being a "cougar" (older woman on the prowl for younger men).  I hate that expression, as I do all cliches that denigrate people, but will go along. 
Jeanne will portray a "bossy Catholic mother of the bride" and I found out it's at a restaurant called Carmen's on Long Beach Island, where we'll rehearse tomorrow.  Web site included a flyer with the information that "Who Killed The Wedding Singer"* is a fundraiser for Surflight Theatre and costs $65 PLUS tax and tip.  Pretty steep for what seems a mediocre menu and thrown-together show, sez me. But who knows: It could be a lot of fun and I'm game.  
* It drives me bananas when I see a question like this unadorned by a question mark.  Punctuation exists for a reason, children: It makes what we write clearer, so IT'S IMPORTANT!  (Exclamation points also exist for a...oh, never mind.)

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...