Sunday, October 07, 2012

The Fair

Yesterday at the fair went well.  Vendors (or displayers, or whatever I'd be considered) could park fairly close to their spaces, so it wasn't too onerous getting my stuff out.  However, we then had to move our cars to the fire station lot, which is a fair distance away.
I put the length of green material down first, with the big "name banner" flat on that.  Added the foam-backed "posters"--they're not exactly posters, but I'm not sure what to call them--on ready-made "easels" on either end.  One featured a display of programs of past productions (I had used that at the library) and the other was a duplicate of my little flyers for You Can't Take It With You.  I had had it made up at Staples at my own expense, although knowing it would be useful for less than a week.  Will now put it in my front window until showtime.  I added a clipboard with sign-up sheets and a basket with the mini-flyers and was in business.
The "golf umbrella" I brought proved to be the one indispensable item, as it was hot, hot, HOT.  It also got windy, windy, WINDIER and the damn foam posters kept blowing off the table, as the "easels" were pretty flimsy.  A nice young woman face-painting at the next table came over and anchored them better with heavy-duty tape.  That helped a lot, but the bigger gusts were still problematic.
When you participate in this kind of event, it seems to me pointless to go to all that trouble, then just sit there.  I engaged as many people as possible and bantered with most.  When they showed interest, I acquainted them first with our coming production, then with the organization itself.  I gave out all the leaflets and two people signed up to get our e-mail (what e-mail?), plus one who identified himself as "a soloist."  This was an older gentleman whose dress trousers and neatly tucked-in shirt seemed rather formal amid the cut-offs and tee shirts.  However, he gave me his card identifying himself as a clergyman, so that explains it, I guess.      
In a few hours, I had given out all my leaflets and was sweltering, so I packed up and left.  It took five trips back and forth lugging my stuff to the car.  It seemed a mile away, but was probably only a few hundred yards.
Home, I finished the rest of my sandwich, talked to Betty on the phone (still in Chicago, but leaving this morning for California), then took a nap of an hour or so.
Got a call from Lillian M., reminding me that our group is going for lunch to the Culinary Institute of Atlantic Community College on Tuesday.  That'll be fun and I'm looking forward to it.
Rehearsal at the hunting shanty tomorrow, but today is a free one. 

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...