Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Mystery Show Rehearsal

Got a multitude of chores and errands done.  Won't go into detail, but they involved two disputed bills (I won both rounds), the supermarket, and my Gigaware mouse.
Picked Jeanne up at 6:30 and drove to Long Beach Island.  It's practically deserted in the off-season and the traffic lights are set to blinking yellow.  Most of the rest of the murder mystery cast was there when we arrived--two mature men and a gaggle of young hopefuls.  J. and I were amazed to be told that eighty people had paid the steep price fixe to attend.  That many will about fill the rather small restaurant. 
We were given scripts--or maybe "scripts," because they're minimal.  I play the mother of the groom, who's convinced her precious Vinnie is being railroaded to the altar by his intended, Tonya.  The wedding singer gets electrocuted by his own microphone--in the middle of a song, too!--and bedlam ensues.
It's been several years since I did a murder mystery show and this looks like fun.  It'll be somewhat strenuous, though.  The "script" gives me only about fifteen lines, all in a block and the show lasts roughly three hours, through appetizers, entree, and dessert.  Actors have to stay in character throughout, so you're improvising most of the time, including interactions with the other actors.  Keeps you on your toes.
Susan, Barbara, Leslie, and I are off to Lakewood in less than an hour (7:00 am), where we'll board a bus for Peddler's Village.  Should be another fun day and I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...