Monday, October 01, 2012

A Bear And Dine-Around

Nothing of great note went on during most of the day, aside from one I wish hadn't:  My niece by marriage, Polly W., put her brother's obit on Facebook.   Joe had been horribly mauled by a bear in Montana when he was just out of college.  He was interviewed on a radio station a few years ago and for those who want to hear the harrowing story, here's the link:
http://thestory.org/archive/the_story_551_Grizzly_Bear_Attack.mp3/view
I called Polly (in N.C.) to offer my condolences and we had a nice talk.  She invited me to Italy after she and Dave get to their assignment (he just joined the foreign service) in May.  Said it was a mere few hours from London and boy, the idea of a European excursion next year is growing hair and teeth in my mnd, you can be sure.
When I was about to leave for Dine-Around, Mike called on Skype, but I had time and was glad to hear from him.  Got to the restaurant in Barnegat just at 5:00 to find Charlie C. already there, although the invite called for an arrival time of 5:30.  (Many in my age bracket tend to run early for things and I'm no exception.)
Our group had an L-shaped table set away from other diners, which suited us fine.  I had prepared little flyers for each place touting our up-coming play and also mentioned it when I welcomed everyone.  (Nothing like a captive audience to get out the word.)
All nineteen arrived and we had a good evening. I was so pleased to see Spanky and Rosie D. come in, as his health is precarious (regular dialysis and an amputated leg), as well as Ed W., who doesn't walk, and Doris H., trailing her oxygen tank.
The food was good and the service friendly and efficient.  After, I gave out the word puzzles I had devised, about half of which were got through--with hints.  Everybody seemed to enjoy it, but tt was taking a bit long, so I told the guests to take them home.  Judy K. gave out her usual dollar store "prizes," and took pictures of the four September birthday people and we all had a great time.
Rehearsal tonight, to which we're to bring our costumes and props and meet early, I'm happy to say.  I'll probably hear from Aline this morning and will arrange to pick her up about 6:30. 

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...