Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Active Day

After breakfast, went to Wal-Green's, then Rite-Aid for Mother's Day cards. Addressed one right at the post office and sent it off.  Drove to Sandy T.'s to get flagstone to put around the front tree.  I was interested to see how they charge for it:  They have a big auto scale and first they weighed my car without the stones, then they loaded up the trunk and weighed again.  Easy.  And cheap: The stones cost only nineteen and change.  They'll deliver, but charge fifty bucks for it, so forget that.
As I was halfway to Manahawkin, I continued on to Shop-Rite to pick up supplies.  Was thoroughly annoyed when I got home and realized I had left one of the bags--with orange juice, salad dressing, and other stuff--in the cart.  Without much hope, I called Shop-Rite and yes, somebody had brought it to the office and I could pick it up when I wanted.  Will do that today.
Got home and pulled the wheelbarrow out of the garage, put gloves on, and one-by-one, transferred the flagstones into it.  Good thing I had it near the tree, as nobody could have moved it so loaded.
Marge had e-mailed me to the effect that she had finished revising the account of Fred's adventures in North Carolina (He had walked into a motel in the midst of a robbery and was confronted by a man with a shotgun.)  Haven't read it yet, but it still looks pretty long for The Breeze--we'll see.  Told her I'd stop over and get it after lunch, I did, and we had a nice chat.  When she showed me a small, somewhat fuzzy snapshot of herself and her two daughters, with husbands, I told her I'd take it to Staples to be enlarged.  I'll do that today when I pick up my forgotten items, but I also cropped and enlarged it at home and sent the change to her electronically. 
Got home to do a wash and the northern dweller arrived.  Together, we pulled the weeds out of the bed around the tree, then circled it with the stones.  Boy, oh boy, does it look good!  She took out a Scotch broom from the front bed.  It blooms prettily in the spring and I like a lot, but unfortunately, starting leaning over after a snow a few years ago, and I never had it put back; just didn't look good and it had to go. 
We weeded around the side and back and she cut back two large bushes under my bedroom windows  They're actually weeds, I guess (she'd say "native plants"), but not bad looking, just too big.
My pineapple plant was listing over to the side--top heavy, I guess--so she and I put it in a deeper pot.  It still had to be propped, though, and I'm beginning to wonder if it's done for.  Dunno and I put it on the porch.
By the time the gardener lady (heh) left, it was 5:30 and I jumped in the shower, had a quick bite, then headed over to the school to rehearsals. 
Was early and had to wait around, as only director Neil was there, but the others came and I took a few pics.  Infuriatingly, I again couldn't get the flash to turn off, so the pictures were poor.  Must look in the instruction manual to see what I'm doing wrong, but am thinking about buying a new camera.  However, assistant director Tonya took some pics with her phone (it's a crazy world--a camera phone!) and she'll send them to me.  I watched some of the rehearsal, but left about 8:00.
   

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...