Sunday, March 09, 2008

Rain or not, we had a pleasant day yesterday. (It sure as hell beat Friday.) Went to Manahawkin on various errands in the morning, then puttered around after lunch. Spoke to Betty several times and was happy to hear her good news. (I won't spoil it, as I'm sure she'll explain on her blog.)
Changed the bedclothes and did several loads of wash. Got some of my new books shelved and made a big salad. I regularly prepare the basics (typically, torn lettuce, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions, kidney beans, and beets) and refrigerate covered with a damp paper towel. Then when I want a snack, I add feta cheese and no-cal dressing. Yesterday, I also sliced in a hard-boiled egg for extra protein. It was yummy and I had some for lunch along with butternut squash.
Pat's bay buddy, John, came over in the afternoon. John is a big talker and very nice guy. He and Pat called Old George, who's back in rehab after his most recent operation, and they plan to visit him today.
John lives in Cranberry Creek, a nearby sister community (over-55), by the same builder who did our development, Sunrise Bay. He and his wife have no children, and she dotes on their Schnauzer. John said they had their first cremated and keep its remains (or "cremains," a truly horrible recently invented word) in a lovely little box with doggie's name on a gold plaque--geesh, exactly like Aunt Claire's, only smaller, I guess. Wifie wants second dog processed the same and wants the ashes from both buried with her (I kid you not). I repeated my mantra "a good dog is a stuffed dog" and John took it in the joking spirit it was offered.
Later, Alison called and asked if I'd come up on Wednesday to receive a new sofa she and Mike bought for the addition (two chairs will come later). Of course, I will and I'm looking forward to it. I'll see if Pat wants to come, too.
In the evening, Patrick called and he, Pat, and I had a long, long talk. He and N. were expecting her parents for lunch and he was making pasta fug goul (I know that's misspelled, but Blogspot doesn't know how, either). He said he had sent pictures of their excursion mountain-climbing last weekend, but I didn't get them for some reason, so he'll re-send. We talked happily about what they'd like to do when they're here in August, which includes going to the zoo, hiking, and up to Ewing, to the environs where P. grew up.
I welcome Daylight Savings Time and changed all the clocks before I went to bed. Incredibly, counting our watches and the ones in our cars, we have thirteen timepieces. There may be some deep psychological significance to that, but damned if I know what it is.

4 comments:

EBJ said...

How could we be twins? I have my watch and one clock that I just plugged in last week. Oh, and I am always early or on time too.

Mimi said...

Believe it or not, I hardly ever wear a watch. Now that I don't work (well, I don't get paid), I don't want to be reminded of what time it is. A lot of our clocks came with the appliances: stove, microwave, coffee maker, etc. Others we somehow just acquired.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
My neighbor has a scrapbook for her dogs and sho nuf she had saved their teeth. First time I'd ever known anyone to save their dog's teeth. She wants her ashes mixed with her dog's ashes and scattered.
Once she told me her first husband (divorced) told her "when you love me as much as that dog, I'll stay home"...hmmm
Second husband died and now it's just she and her doggie. One grown son and his wife live nearby.

I like DST too.

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
My neighbor has a scrapbook for her dogs and sho nuf she had saved their teeth. First time I'd ever known anyone to save their dog's teeth. She wants her ashes mixed with her dog's ashes and scattered.
Once she told me her first husband (divorced) told her "when you love me as much as that dog, I'll stay home"...hmmm
Second husband died and now it's just she and her doggie. One grown son and his wife live nearby.

I like DST too.

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...