Sunday, March 30, 2008

Had a thoroughly delightful day yesterday with Pat's niece, Donna E. She got here a little after 11:00 and we chatted and visited with Pat for an hour or so, then went off to Lizzie Rose.
This is an specialty shop on Main Street (Route 9), filled with charming and expensive merchandise, including a plethora of teapots. In the back is a tiny tearoom--four tables--overlooking the garden (but also, the parking lot).
Lunch was wonderful. We got our choice of tea (I picked raspberry), then a three-tier server was brought to the table. The bottom level contained little finger sandwiches: turkey and a spicy spread on whole wheat; tiny rounds of pumpernickel with meat and a heart cut of of cheese; halved plum tomatoes filled with chicken salad; and similar dainty fare. The second tier had luscious scones in the shape of roses and the third tiny petit fours and huge chocolate-covered strawberries.
Did I use any dietary restraint? Absolutely not! I ate every crumb of my half, aside from two little cakes and the strawberries, which I took home for Pat. (I wasn't being noble and self-sacrificing, I was just full.)
What a feast! I'm perfectly okay with it, though, not filled with regret and self-recrimination as I would have been a few years ago (the way an obese person reacts to overindulging). I simply compensated by having only a small bowl of broccoli for dinner, then resumed my normal routine of popcorn and wine at eight.
The Lizzie Rose has just opened a wonderful restored Victorian house right next door, which will soon be a restaurant. They already rent it out for parties and a shower was going on. The place is beautiful, with dark woodwork and appropriate wallpaper and other decoration.
After lunch (Donna insisted on treating), we went down Green Street to see Pat at the bay. We found him with his buddy, John, in the passenger seat chatting with another guy in the car next to them. Stayed there for a few minutes, then went back to the house. Donna came in and we had a nice talk. She left right before Pat got home. We promised we'd see more of each other and said goodbye with great affection.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...