Monday, March 31, 2008

Arrived at J & J's about 1:00. Jen, Tristan, Joely, and his cousin, Gabe, were there, along with a friend of Jen's. Got to hold "T," who was fascinated by the zipper and snap on my coat--but was aware he didn't know me and was a little standoffish.
Joel was down the street helping Jen's sister move into her new apartment with some other friends. He came back and we set off in his van for Morrisville, only 22 miles away.
I was a little worried the table would be too big and/or hideously distasteful, and/or that I'd hate it for some other reason, but it's beautiful. Tom and Joel speculated about the wood--it has a dark, rich, very slightly reddish patina--but couldn't come to a conclusion as to what it is. The table is plain except for spiralled legs and a carved rectangular inset on the side. It has a full drop-leaf and a sort of gate leg that pulls out to hold the leaf. Tom pointed out that the flat surfaces are single pieces of wood two feet wide; you can't buy anything that size today.
To my surprise, Tom told me the table had come over from Ireland with Aunt Claire's mother, not Uncle Frank's, my grandmother. Since Aunt C. was 97 when she died last month, it must be 120 years old or so. I don't care whose it was, I love it anyway.
We drove back to Joel's so I could pick up my car and Joel's friend, Jason, came with us down to our place. They moved the table in without incident and, after we tried it in the foyer (it seemed too wide), we settled on the inner dining room wall. Pat suggested we switch placement with the bench Uncle Frank had made, and it looks great. Not sure if I'll keep the rattan table that had been there.
The boys then loaded the van with the table and chair set, rocker, and side table I was giving to Jen's sister, and went on their way.
Ellen, dear heart, called after dinner and we had our usual Sunday talk. She said the townhouse inspection went well. She has settlement on Tuesday and will actually move in on Sunday.
Other D.D. Alison called. She had the boys overnight on Saturday while J. and J. went to a party and said T. was up half the night, which means she was, too. Even so, she and Mike raced on Sunday and she said both did well. She starts at her new school in Riverside (45 minutes from home) today.
Patrick sent pictures of his and N.'s excursion to the Great Buddha in Kamakura(?). I have pictures of when he and I were there eight years ago, and greatly enjoyed seeing his.
All in all, a full and satisfying day.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...