Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The hike on the Batona Trail* went 6.9 miles yesterday and it was perfect weather: very cold, but brilliantly sunny with little wind. As usual in the forest, the terrain was varied, from packed sand to asphalt roads to narrow tracks bumpy with roots and forest debris. There was some elevation, but it was easily negotiable. About 20 people and two dogs participated and I was happy to see several people I had met on other hikes; it was a nice, convivial group.
Didn't get home until 2:00, so was glad I had left Pat's sandwich for lunch. He was at the bay and I got caught up with wash and so on until dinnertime (steak for him, salmon for me).
Got calls from brothers Larry and Frank, both of whom hope to come for our anniversary in June. Frank asked me to e-mail our Patrick's phone number to his son, Patrick, who is in Tokyo this week, regarding a newly-opened head and neck surgery center there. He'll lecture or advise or something.
Getting my hair cut today and tomorrow, will drive up to Alison's to receive the new sofa they ordered, as they'll both be working. Thursday, I meet former colleague, Helen C., for lunch in Lawrenceville, so it will continue to be a pleasant week.
*The Batona Trail, in Brendan Byrne State Park, totals a full fifty miles, but its segments vary in length. It boggles the mind to know that my SIL, Mike, has hiked the entire fifty miles several times--at one go, that is, and with only short rest stops. Think I'll leave that particular outing alone.

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...