Monday, January 14, 2008

Went to the Woman's Club "planning meeting" yesterday afternoon. I suggested a talk by Margaret Gorden Hewitt, who wrote "We Knew We Were At War," a book about American women during WW II. The author was a teenager then, so is probably 80 or older; she lives in Doylestown, Pa., a long ride from here. There wasn't a lot of enthusiasm about the idea, so I'm going to let it drop.
I was gratified when somebody asked if I'd repeat my Dionne quintuplet presentation; said I might as a fill-in, if needed.
Accepted the chairmanship of the scholarship committee. Having done it last year, I know it doesn't entail much. I like the idea of helping a local high schooler go to college.
Volunteered to again model in the spring fashion show. Although the sponsor will still be crappy Penney's, I'll be more than fifty pounds thinner and won't have to shop in the women's section--what fun!
Other than the above, the high point(s) of the gathering was when people complimented me on my appearance. I wore my new, slim-fitting slacks, the green sweater I paid too much for at Boscov's, a white turtleneck dickey, and my shoe boots, which--glory be--were comfortable, thanks to my podiatrist visit last week. Wore makeup and, determined not to fall into the trap of over-bedecked mature housewives, only a small pair of silver hoop earrings for jewelry. Hey, I looked great, modest Roe assures her adoring readers.
Talked/saw D.D. Ellen during our usual Sunday night hookup. She still hasn't heard from the bank about her condo bid and visited a few other open houses. She's in a good position now, as the "locked in" limit is over for her, so if the bank does accept, she doesn't have to go through with her offer if she decides not to.
Got an invitation to their Super Bowl party from the H.'s. We've gone the last 3 years, but there seems no possibility Pat could go and I won't leave him to watch the game alone. I invited Alison, Mike, and the Phillips Four down for our own SB party, instead. If they can't come, I'll just plan for us to have dinner in front of the T.V.
Was invited by Leslie and Dennis to a fish fry at their church on the 27th. Yes! This is something I'll definitely go to, and I accepted with pleasure.


No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...