Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Pat had a pulmonologist appointment at 10:30 and we got to Absecon so early, I had time to run into Shop-Rite for a few staples first. Got broccoli, acorn squash, mushrooms, and so on.
Nothing much new at Dr. H.'s. She wants him to get a chest x-ray and wrote out a prescription for one of his inhalers, but gave him samples, too. When the nurse took Pat's BP, I asked if she would do mine. She complied and it was 130/80.
We then drove to Border's near Hamilton Mall and I got two delectable books I've been hungering for*: The Omnivore's Dilemma and In Defense of Food, by my new guru, Michael Pollan. This guy advocates fresh, unprocessed foods, mostly plants, and writes so persuasively in such elegant prose, you wanna go out and forage in the forest. I started on the first, which is subtitled "A Natural History of Four Meals," and oh, it's yummy!
When we got home, it was time for lunch. Made that, fed Pat, and went off to my doctor's for my regular BP check. It was 134/82. R.N.s (and anybody else who cares to), please comment.
Stopped at Acme and West Tuckerton Liquor (they were out of my fancy and exclusive ten bucks a gallon wine--damn!) before getting home in time to leave for SOCH for Pat's radiation.
That was his 9th session, so 7 more to go, which means we'll be finished next Thursday. Unhappily, though, the doctor noticed a sore on what's left of his left ear and told him to see the dermatologist; he thinks it's more cancer. Oh, hell, we'll face that when we get to it.
At Mike's suggestion, I called adorable little Vivian after dinner. It was so much fun to talk to her as she excitedly told me about her "ballerina butterfly" (didn't quite get that) and her princess costume, which she was wearing to school that day. Guess it was a dress-up day. Mike is in Hong Kong and Paula in Shanghi. I wish they weren't both away at the same time, but her nanny is there, of course.
Today, I go to the new library person's and will be glad to meet her. It's just five minutes away and I have a tape and book to deliver. Both are Pastor Joel Osteen's Your Best Life Now/7 Steps to Living at Your Full Potential, so I guess Janice is a "self-help, but directed by others" type. Well, before I raise my eyebrows, must remind myself with what close attention I'm reading Pollan. Same thing, ain't it?
*Yeah, yeah, "for which I've been hungering," but that sounds stupid. Rhythm trumps grammar, sez I.

3 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
As long as your B/P stays between 130/80 and 140/90...I doubt your doctor will put you back on medication. If you had chronic kidney disease or diabetes they'd want it to be below 130/80. Your numbers will vary with stress, temperature and exercise and that's why it's best to take it around the same time each day after sitting calmly for about 5 minutes.

RE: Pat's new lesion on the ear....This one may very well be one they can simply excise.

Mimi said...

Pat, thanks for the BP info. As for Pat's ear, we're hoping they can just cut it out, especially as I don't think they'll allow any more radiation near there. I just hope they don't want to do the M.O.H.S. procedure and he'd have to stick around for hours. We'll have to discuss this with the dermatologist to try to come to something satisfactory.

EBJ said...

Your BP seems good to me. Is the lesion on lobe of Pat's ear? If so they most likely will excise it. (Layman's terms=cut it out).
Your life continues to be VERY busy.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...