Thursday, January 03, 2008

My misadventures in pursuit of another wreath container remind me of an old Jewish joke. (I like Jewish humor, but I know it isn't for everybody.) Finkelstein goes into a butcher shop to buy some chops and sees they're marked two dollars a pound. "What!" he cries indignantly, "Why, Cohen across the street sells them for a dollar a pound!" "Then why don't you buy them there?" asks the butcher. "I can't," says Finkelstein, "He doesn't have any more."
Well, I think it's funny. The connection with my yesterday is that I picked up a few things at K-Mart and saw they had a long shelf FULL of the same wreath containers that were sold out at two Wal-Marts. The catch was that they were $9.00 and the Wal-Mart one had been on sale for $6.44. I bought one anyway--it was worth the higher cost because I was reminded of the joke and it amused me again.
As one might surmise, yesterday was all about the little this 'n' thats which fill my life. Got containers at the dollar store for Nana Mix I want to give Joel (besides a check). I'll make another batch for Jen, so they can each have their own. Called Marge to wish her happy 2008. She told me she's been able to cut down, then eliminate, her sleep aids and is sleeping fairly well. They used to make her so groggy during the day it was a toss-up whether they were worth taking.
Tomorrow, we go for a consultation with the radiologist at SOCH about Pat's squamous cell cancers. He has several other doctor appointments next week, including with his primary at Fort Dix. These are demoralizing simply because there's nothing else to be done for him aside from what's already prescribed.
And he no longer asks when he might get better.
Later: Lost .4--almost half a pound--for a total of 51.6 and a weight of 148. Not very exciting, but okay. I'm now 7 pounds from my goal weight.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Good joke especially in light of your wreath container.
7 lbs to goal...fantastic.
As you know the closer you get; those pounds just cling. You'll do it tho...I know it.
Pat's focus hopefully is accepting what he has and maintaining it. It's actually good to hear...'no change'. That means he hasn't lost any more function. Not great, but he still gets himself out of bed and gets to talk with his cronies. Let's hope that lasts a loong time. And we gotta have some 'get away time' for you....e.g. come down here for a day or two. Not sure how that can be arranged, but ya jus nevah know.

Mimi said...

Pat, you're absolutely right that "no change" is a good thing. Thanks for your encouraging words. As for me getting awaw, I'm thinking on it. We'll see, my friend.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...