Friday, June 15, 2007

It's up, it's down, it's better, it's worse, he's good, he's bad. Pat seemed to have some slight improvement yesterday morning and was able to wash and shave. However, he ate very little dinner (flounder) and his extreme difficulty in breathing means it was an ordeal to move around much, let along easily walk. He did, however, enjoy our shared popcorn and FF Popsicles* in the evening. We again discussed whether he should go to the hospital, but he doesn't want to yet, and I'm not going to press him.
George called again and Pat enjoyed his phone visit. Patrick, dear number one son, called from Tokyo, and after they talked, Pat said, "He never forgets." Of course, Alison called and Ellen sent an e-mail. She's winding up the school year today and will call Sunday, too. We also got e-mails from friends and relatives, the last few of whom I informed yesterday about Pat's latest setback.
Betty called and we had a good sisterly talk. We can discuss freely things that others might not understand and that's so comforting. She was Wes' caregiver so many years ago, and she finally lost him, but you don't forget either the circumstances or the emotions involved.
I plan to meet Susan for our walk in another hour. Assuming Pat's asleep, there's no reason not to, and it's important to me to keep up my exercise. I've been using the weights (5 pounds) in the evening, which I understand contributes considerably to stamina and boy, do I need that.
*This is interesting: I alway assumed "popsicle" was a generic word, but it must be a brand name because the Spellcheck moniter tells me I should capitalize it. (Well, I thought it was interesting.)

2 comments:

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary you really keep a great attitude during this ordeal. It must be very difficult for you to keep up a front all the time. Do you have someone who comes in and gives you a break? Can Pat be left alone for a few hours?
It is great that you have Betty to talk to, I never realize she had lost her Husband so young.

Mimi said...

I can go out for short periods in the afternoon, but I'm uneasy going very far away. I went to the supermarket yesterday--only about a mile away--but haven't been able to get to the mall to return something--it's 26 miles. Yes, Betty was only 38 when Wes died, and Wes only 45.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...