Sunday, June 03, 2007

I thought I'd spend the day moving the books, pictures, artifacts, and so on out of the study in preparation for the built-in components, so got started early on that. However, Alison called about 10:00 to ask if I'd like to go to Lake Absegami with her and her other "grandchildren,"* Lindsay, 4, and Lucas, almost 3. (Lucas is 2 weeks younger than Vivian).
Alison and Mike were baby-sitting for the weekend while the parents went to a wedding out of town. Mike attends a botany course at Stockton College on Saturdays, so couldn't be there. I was sorry to hear that Joely wouldn't be, either, as he was spending the day with his cousin, Gabe, but I was happy to be invited. Naturally, I agreed in a heartbeat and A. told me to pack a lunch and they'd be down to get me. I would have met them there (it's about 5 miles from me), but I have a senior citizen pass (for a car), so she picked me up. That was good, as it saved her the $10 parking fee.
The lake was wonderful. It's beautiful to begin with--clear cedar water surrounded by big pine and cedar trees, in the middle of Bass River State Forest. It was a hot day, but we sat under the shade of a tree and the kids--and Alison and I--had a ball. It wasn't as crowded as it sometimes gets and the life guards don't have the annoying habit--as they seem to on Absecon Island--of blasting their whistles every three minutes. We had packed lunches--chicken breast on WW bread and a salad for me, with diet lemonade in the thermos--and ate first, then headed for the water. It was so refreshing and such fun to splash around with the two little tow-heads. I left Alison in the shallows with them long enough to go out deeper to swim and go completely under water.
We stayed until almost 4:00, then A. drove me home. Darned if I hadn't forgotten to bring my key, and Pat was still at the bay. I stopped at Leslie's, thinking I had given her a key years ago, but she couldn't find it and I may not have. Drove to the bay, but Pat must have gone home the other way, because we missed him! Home again, he was there, so we said goodbye, the kids both sound asleep in car seats. I jumped in the shower, made dinner (pork chop for Pat, salmon for me), then relaxed for the rest of the evening.
As an old Ventnorite, I probably shouldn't confess it, but I like lakes and pools better than the ocean--to go into, anyway (you can't beat the Atlantic for looking at, especially after a storm). There are no waves, crabs, or shells, and you can actually swim in the placid water. I'm a wimp, I guess.
*Lindsay and Lucas are Alison's husband, Mike's, biological grandchildren; he has two sons by his first marriage. Alison regards them, and treats them, exactly the same as she does Joely, her bio grandchild and they fell easily into calling me "Mimi," as Joely does.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Sounds like a perfect day. I sure wish I had an Alison in my life. She is so attentive and loving to you and Pat. You must have instilled such good things in her.

I know what you mean about Cedar water. I used to love to go to Lake Lenape....someone later told me lakes and rivers have snakes. Damm I was happy til I learned that bit of info.

Mimi said...

Pat, there are very few poisonous snakes in Jersey (I think only the water mocassin is indgenous), and the other kind won't hurt you. We used to take big Joel, now 26, to this lake when he was a kid, too. I've been there often over many years and have never seen a snake there.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...