Sunday, June 24, 2007

Boy, I'm getting up in the world: dinner out two nights in a row. Alison and I went to Joseph's at Renault Winery, a very nice place and--surprisingly--not terribly expensive. We managed to spend $70, but Alison had a salad, we both had a glass of wine, and I had coffee. They have a varied menu with a lot of interesting dishes. I had mahi-mahi cooked in lime on a banana risotto, Alison a pasta/seafood dish. The wine was their own, of course, a white Merlot, and boy, was it good. It wasn't as dry as most Merlot and actually had a slightly sweet taste, which we both liked.
After, it was still light and we drove down the bay to see the sunset. Got out of the car, but the gnats were so bad, we left. Alison came back to the house just to say goodbye and went home about 8:30.
It would have been a very enjoyable evening if it had ended there. Unfortunately, it didn't. I skipped my regular glass of red wine, got FF Popsicles for Pat and me, looked at "The Lost Weekend" for a half hour, then went to bed.
I had barely settled down with my book when I noticed an oddly queasy feeling. I took antacids, but it got worse and I was really sick to my stomach. I don't think it was the food itself; what I think is that my body is so used to eating a virtually fat-free, rather bland diet, heavy on the vegetable side, that it found it hard to process my dinner. Anyway, after some unpleasant events which the reader can imagine, it passed and I was able to sleep. I feel okay now, but not quite up to par.
Earlier in the day, Susan and I planted the annuals (and the miniature rose) in the front. They look good, but I want to add a few to fill in more. Will also get mulch.
Aside from the above, had a quiet day. Washed and did other household chores while Pat was at the bay. I had just left him sandwiches for dinner, but tonight, will have a proper meal, probably featuring seasoned baked chicken.

1 comment:

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary your garden must look beautiful with all those various plants and flowers.
Sorry to hear that you were ill from that scrumbus sounding dinner. I'm inclined to agree with your theory of what happened. A few months before my gall bladder surgery I had to stop fatty foods. After the surgery the Doctor told me I should be able to eat anything. Of course I took this to heart, don't remembr what I had but got sick as a dog.

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...