Monday, June 04, 2007

The high point of the day was hearing fellow blogger and HSHS grad, Pat McH. R. on Virginia public radio. She said hello to Dee, Betty, and me, and even mentioned Betty's new grandbaby. Pat has what used to be called a "melodious" voice--very smooth, well-modulated, and enjoyable to hear. She volunteers for this "readers' radio." She and her partner (no, not that kind of partner) read newspaper articles and chat, performing a valuable service for the vision-impaired.
Other than that, I did little yesterday except transfer all the books in the two bookcases to the guest room and catch up on household chores. We had heavy rain in the afternoon, a perfect excuse to loaf, and I did, actually watching television for several hours. The TLC channel was having a "Brookhaven Marathon," meaning past episodes running all day. Brookhaven is a facility in Brooklyn that includes a section for the morbidly obese. They have 75 beds, which are usually filled and the show follows the progress--or lack thereof--of several of them in their sad journey to lose enormous amounts of weight. I was fascinated by the people portrayed and their seeming inability to keep from committing slow suicide by mouth. There but for the grace...yeah.
I'm getting a little panicky about clearing out the rest of the study. Dennis had asked if I need help with it and I'll certainly ask him to move the bookshelves and desk, but I think I can do the rest.
Talked to other darling daughter, Ellen. She has two more weeks of teaching school, but will take two courses herself this summer. El said she went to an outdoor graduation party (from Cal State Northridge) for one of the aides at school. It was an authentic Latino celebration, which included Mexican music, food, and "strawberry water." This sounds divine; it's a drink made of crushed strawberries with just enough water to make it liquid. Ellen said you could smell the strawberries as soon as you got near the area.
This evening, Barb H. and I will go to Pinelands Regional High to the awards reception to present the Women's Club scholarship to a student. It'll be fun to meet the young woman (we specified a female) whose education we'll be helping to further.
Note: I'm not sure when--or if--I'll have to disconnect the computer, so be aware, all you multitude of avid readers, this blog may be out of commission for some period until the study is finished. I'm just not sure at this point when or for how long.

2 comments:

iloveac said...

Thank you Rosemary. When the former editor of the editorial page of the 'Spotlight' compliments me, I am honored. One had to be a good writer to get that assignment.

I watched some of the Brookhaven program. Morbid Obesity is tragic. These folks have tried every way there is to lose and keep wgt off.

It truly is an addiction and so many people look upon these folks as 'lacking will power'. You are definitely right...it is slow suicide. Thank God that one man's son has recognized his own tendency to overeat. He is tackling the issue before he gets like his parents.

I hope folks heard the pediatric physician state that two people can eat the same thing and one gains... and the other (for some unknown reason) does not.

I sure hope you are not offline for too long...I will miss my daily dose...or would it be better to say ...my daily fix? So glad you were the impetus for my blog writing...I think it is therapeutic.

Mimi said...

Well! Now I can only say that when a star of stage, screen, and radio compliments me, it MEANS something!
Uh...the talent scouts for stage and screen are on their way, I'm sure.

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...