Sunday, June 10, 2007

Busy day. Spent part of it continuing to move books from the guest room to the new shelves in the study. Showed Susan after our walk and she oohed and ahed over the change. Said she likes it a well as her own. She and Walter have the same model house--the Voyager--we do and a year or so ago, they had their study done over. However, they paid more than two and a half times what we did. Of course, they're both in real estate and they had all kinds of (expensive) renovations done, including moving the closet, a roll-top section, and lots of individual, time-consuming changes, so that adds up.
Went to Home Depot and got the rest of the door pulls; must call Dennis to attach them. At Staples, I got a device to cover the multitude of wires under the desk (about the only thing I don't like about the change) and looked at thin-line computer monitors. When I get one, Walter said he'd install it for me, nice guy that he is.
Was able to see Alison's article on-line on the Australian Journal of Occupational Therapy. It's called "A Field Test of the Cougar Home Safety Assessment in the Homes of Older Persons Living Alone" and I remember when she and three fellow grad students presented it at school. I'll see A. today at the shower.
Pat brought his crony, John, over after the bay to see the study. Must remember to invite him and his wife over soon.
Right before dinner, old friend Jack B. (St. James, HSHS '50, brother Larry's best friend, practically a member of the family) dropped in with his son, Joe, a very nice guy. They wouldn't stay to eat, but we had a nice visit. Jack and two of his children went to Larry and Helen's 50th anniversary last summer, the only ones "in the family" able to go. Nothing would have kept me away except for what did: I already had my ticket for London and met son Mike and his family in London at the same time as the anniversary party.
Gave Pat spaghetti and meatballs, which we haven't had lately because I won't eat it (incredibly high in calories) and I just had a Lean Cuisine. However, Pat ate only a few forkfuls, then said he didn't feel well. Wasn't sure what was wrong, but I gave him Tylenol and it seemed to help.
Patrick called after dinner and we had a good talk. He's still working very hard, both teaching and on the doctorate. I miss him and wish he could get here one of these days, but it doesn't seem to be in the cards for the foreseeable future.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
As I mentioned to you in email I was delighted to be able to read the abstract of Alison's article. I never knew the full impact of what OTs do. The abstract mentioned Fire safety as an indicator for evaluation. It made me rethink our own method of escape.
You surely do have talented and gifted kids.

Your study sounds super. Can something sound super?mmmmm.

Let me know the name of the thing you bought to cover the wires. We have a similar problem and I'd love to cover them.

Hope Pat's discomfort was transient and he is feeling better.

Have a good time at Jen's shower for 'what's his name'.

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...