Monday, June 18, 2007

Better, better, much better than before. I'm back on an even keel, thanks mostly to Alison coming en famille yesterday--we had a great time. Served the quick and easy, but satisfying, lunch of "slymphie stew," a big salad, and Italian bread, and everybody gobbled it up. Alison brought dessert (a delectable chocolate coffee cake) and I used plastic plates and tableware we just tossed out.
After lunch, Pat opened his presents. Alison and Mike gave him a nice set of Jockey brand light pants and shirts, Joel and Jen a box of candy, and Ellen a DVD of the movie "Flag of Our Fathers," all of which he liked a lot. He also liked the birdhouse and feeder I gave him; Alison and I hung it outside with Joely's assistance.
Joely brought his yearbook (pre-school, for heaven's sake!), report card, and number book, and we all oohed and aahed over them. Jen looks good, but thinks she'll probably go earlier than the end of July. I agree, but who am I? All my children were "late"--Alison by almost 3 weeks. (When I mentioned that, naturally Mike and Joel said, "Oh-h-h, so that's what happened.")
Alison and Joel tied up for recycle all the newspapers that had been accumulating in the garage. Then, with Mike, they tackled the big job: taking apart and cleaning of bugs (not sure what they were) the huge, heavy photo of Steel Pier (that I saw for sale in AC for $325) over the couch in the living room. What a job! It wasn't just slipped in the frame, but had been taped over big staples. Mike laid it on the dining room table (padded with a blanket) and carefully disassembled it. Alison and he then cleaned it and he reassembled. Mike and Joel put it back up--and that sucker is heavy. I couldn't bear to look, sure I'd hear a loud crash, then apologies, but all went well, it looks good, and I'm so happy it's done.
We then all watched the Anderson Cooper DVD that Alison ordered from CNN. It features my nephew, Patrick (brother Frank's son). Patrick is a head and neck surgeon at Johns Hopkins, and reconstructed a young soldier's nose, as mentioned in an earlier entry. It was great to see and Alison gave me the DVD.
The gang left about 5:30. Later, Ellen called: School is now out, although she has quite a bit to do to finish up and will go in on Monday. Love discussing various educational things with her.
Mike called from a plane on the runway about to take off for India. He said a gift is coming and should arrive today. So good to talk to him, and I checked Vivian's web site and found he had added some pictures--they're adorable!
I ran out to get milk and while I was gone, Patrick called. I was astounded when Pat told me he had called to thank me for taking care of his Dad. Patrick is a cool, rather remote, cerebal type, and it touched me to the heart to have him do that. How did we get so lucky with our children?
Brother Larry called early in the day. He had a great time with Betty in Santa Barbara and is now in Arizona--saw a thermometer that read 115 degrees! He'll drop the car off, then fly home to Miami.
Talked to Betty twice. She called early in the day and I called her back after our company had gone. She was glad to hear things had improved--well, I guess I mean just my outlook and isn't that all there is by which we judge our lives?
My friend, Lynne had left a comment recently about the roller coaster of emotions I seem to be riding. She was so right. My attitude is now riding high, and I'll take that compared to the depths any day.
Last note: Dee commented yesterday that, although I was so upset by Pat's mean remark, I should forgive him. She was right and I have.

2 comments:

EBJ said...

Glad you are back to,"normal".

Dee's Blog said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Fathers Day with your family. That slymphie stew sounds soo good, nice and easy so you can enjoy your company.
Glad you finally got to watch the Anderson Cooper tape of your nephew. You must be so proud,
Glad things are back to normal.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...