Thursday, June 14, 2007

Depressing news: What seemed to be Pat's improvement didn't last. He had asked me to help him get a shower--an imperative, maybe for obvious reasons--when Alison called in the morning and he spoke to her. Darn, while I was saying goodbye to her, he went to his chair in the living room and fell asleep. He wouldn't get up all day and actually stayed there until about 5:30, skipping lunch and dozing most of the time. He did take his sugar, inject his insulin, and take his six late afternoon pills. I gave him dinner (baked chicken and sides) there (he ate only half of it) and finally persuaded him to let me change his clothes.
I should have remembered that this has happened before: He gets sick, improves, then relapses, then slowly recovers to a certain point. I know there'll be a time when he won't recover.
Alison, Mike, J., J., and J. (and Whosis) are coming for Father's Day this Sunday and we're both looking forward to that. For most occasions, Pat is given a choice of going to Alison's or having them here and lately, he has invariably chosen not to go out--no wonder. We'll have the gang for lunch, not dinner, which fits better into everyone's schedules. Unspoken, but in our minds, I think, is the fact that this may be his last Father's Day.
Pat was pleased that his bay cronies, 82-year-old George and sixtyish John, both called to see why he hadn't been down to the docks lately. Betty called again and we had a good talk and several neighbors called, the word having gotten around. Niece Joan sent an e-mail telling me she and Jim had sold their house in Leesburg, Va.--great news, as it's been on the market for some time.
I'm hoping to walk this morning as Pat should be sleeping until I get home. If at all possible, I also want to go to Weight Watchers just to get weighed. I told Leslie I wouldn't stay for the lecture, as I don't want to be gone that long. That was fine with her and I'll pick her up as usual--unless.... Well, unless I can't.
Added Note: I did get in my walk with Susan a little earlier than usual. At Pat's urging, I also got to WW, but didn't stay for the lecture. Lost another 2 pounds, for a total of 17.2; am now at 182.4. Good friend Leslie lost, too, so we were both pleased. Pat fine when I got home; he said Alison had called.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a roller coaster your emotions are on from day to day. I realize how difficult this must be for you. You are in my prayers.
lc

Mimi said...

Thank you, Lynne, my friend. As ever, I appreciate your interest and support.

Dee's Blog said...

Rosemary I am so sorry that Pat did not rally like you thought. I don't like you to talk like that, I'm sure that Pat will see many more "Fathers Days" Keep the faith and I'll keep praying for him. You may see him declining but the Lord perform miracles and may have one in store for Pat. I'm keeping you in prayer too Rosemary because you need it.

EBJ said...

Please keep taking time for yourself.
I hope you will not think of putting on one of your fabulous luncheons for Father's Day. You have too much going on.
My love and prayers are with you.
Did I tell you that Larry and I stopped to say a prayer for Pat at the Mission?

Mimi said...

Hey, Betty, the fabulous luncheon might very well be chicken takeout or whatever. OR I may just make a big pot of slymphie stew, add some Italian bread, and let it go at that. Alison will ask what she can bring and I'll tell her dessert of some kind--no sweat.
Thanks, dear, for thinking of me and for saying a prayer at that beautiful mission for Pat.

iloveac said...

I think the slymphie stew and Italian bread followed by a great dessert sounds great. Unless it's easier to get take out chicken. I'd do the easiest.

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...