Wednesday, February 15, 2006

I've been thinking hard about the weight thing. For one thing, I'm considering the report that a low-fat diet doesn't really protect you against heart disease and cancer. Also, I've looked at lots of family pictures recently. For all my continual efforts to diet, I've clearly been overweight for at least 30 years, if not longer. When I was on Opti-Fast about 15 years ago, I lost 90 pounds, but the program no sooner ended when I put it back on. Of course, I had been overweight before that, too, even when I smoked. In fact, as near as I can remember I started putting on weight as soon as my children became old enough to walk. Another clue is looking at my relatives. With one exception, my siblings all either have or had weight problems; almost, but not all my aunts and cousins do, too, as do some nieces and nephews. Maybe that's just par for American families, but I'm a great believer in the influence of genetics and my mother was short and chubby. I remember reading or seeing information to the effect that overweight physically fit people--that is, who regularly exercise--are healthier and tend to live longer than thin people who are sedentary.
Food for thought. In the meantime, my literal food today included a cottage cheese breakfast and I guess I'll finish up the Slymphie Stew for lunch. Maybe more significant, I attended the 3-mile exercise and walked to the clubhouse twice. I want to increase my exercise considerably and maybe, just maybe, skip obsessing about what I eat. We'll see...

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...