Thursday, September 03, 2026

WEDNESDAY AND DREADFUL NEWS

Went to balance class at 10:00; Keith often attends, but wasn't there; in fact, besides leader/volunteer, Jackie, there were only five of us. After, I put my Japanese grandson's birthday card in the mail and when I came back upstairs, I saw Dyan and J.T. near my door. Their sad faces told me something was up and I asked. To my horror, Dyan told me that Keith had died. What? How could that possibly be? We had noted on Tuesday that we hadn't seen him that day, but just assumed he had gone out to lunch or something. What had happened,  we were told, was that somebody had alerted Director Tiffany they hadn't seen him recently. When this happens, management calls the person, then if no answer, investigates further. Tiffany did that and discovered his body in his apartment. We saw police and possibly, somebody from the coroner's office going up and down the stairs. I believe that if a death is discovered in such a way, circumstances must be investigated in order to rule out foul play. I called and left a message for Kathie, then went to Denise's and Paula's apartments to give them the sad news.

Lunch with those mentioned above, plus LaVerne,  and we all commiserated at the loss.  I then saw another resident and told her. To my horror, she became hysterical, burst into tears, and screamed and cried. I knew she had known Keith in a casual way, but this was over the top. Anyway, the news spread and everyone who had known Keith was saddened.

At 2:00, I went downstairs for dime Bingo and won one. I was still reeling by the news of Keith's death, and so were others, but it was a diversion.    

Dinner with Kathie, LaVerne, and Paula and, of course, we discussed Keith and how we'd miss him. Mary came over to talk a bit about it, having calmed down considerably. 

Called Ellen to tell her about Keith, whom she had met. Of course, she was shocked and sorry. She was just sitting down for dinner and Greg was coming over and they'd go on one of their regular walks. I'll be going  over to her place on Saturday and the three of us will go to SeaFresh for dinner. 

I called Caitlin to ask if she could cut my hair today, but wasn't able to get her or her voice mail, so will try again this morning. Elika will give me a manicure at 3:30 and I hope Caitlin is available then, too. Showered, but didn't wash my hair, figuring she'd do it. 

Had difficulty sleeping again, maybe because of my distress over Keith's death. 

No comments:

WEDNESDAY AND DREADFUL NEWS

Went to balance class at 10:00; Keith often attends, but wasn't there; in fact, besides leader/volunteer, Jackie, there were only five o...