Happily, I slept well and didn't get up until 7:00 am to follow my usual routine. Niece Carolyn called at 10:00 and we had a good, long talk. I was so interested to hear that she's continuing her writing of a 1904 incident in Santa Babara where she lives: the accident of a trolley hitting a pole in which five people were killed and dozens injured. The trolley, with 40 seats, was packed with 120 people. Carolyn's 24-year-old son, Finn, is atttending a "Burning Man" gathering in Nevada, the particulars of which are beyond belief:
It's a week-long kind of concert and art event, during which attendees build a house, then at the end of the week, burn it down. Makes sense, right?
She's also going to take her daughter, Claire, upstate to UC Davis, where she'll enter college. In addition, Carolyn's husband, Dana, will be at a conference in Nova Scotia--he's retired, but does contract work--and she's going with him and will meet her cousin, my niece, Chrissy, there. Once she gets back, she'll get in touch and will visit me.
Went down to lunch and sat with Kathie, Paula, and Denise; I had only a salad, as I knew Ellen, Greg, and I would be having an early dinner. As scheduled, the Access Van picked me up at 12:20. The driver had to pick up two other people and drop them off at their destinations, so it was about an hour before I got to Ellen's, but that was no problem. El and I sat and chatted on her lovely porch/patio, then she taught me RummyKrob, which I greatly enjoyed. Greg came about 4:30 and we went off the SeaFresh for an early dinner. I had salmon--excellent--with roasted broccoli, along with an Liquid Candy IPA and it was yummy.
We got to Ellen's just in time to get the Access Van, driven by James, a really nice guy who I've had before. Off we went, and picked up one other person, a woman in a wheel chair close to my age. We talked and I was interested to hear she had lived at The Palms, the assisted living facility right behind The Orchard.
As soon as I got home, I put the homemade chili Ellen had given me in the fridge and the cornbread she had made in other containers and stowed them in the fridge. However, I was horrified to see ants on the sink surround--AAGH! I know a few other residents have experienced ants, but I never have. I'll have to let Joseph know and maybe he'll spray. Happily, I didn't see any this morning.
Have no plans for today, but I'm toying with the idea of asking Noreen if she'd like to meet for lunch. Mebbe yes, mebbe no...
No comments:
Post a Comment