Saturday, February 24, 2024

Saturday

I was horrified to receive a call at 7:00 AM from Gayle Butcher, of Soaring Spirits, telling me that our mutual friend, Anne Lazara, has died. But how could that be? Anne was a practicing neonatal nurse, only about 55, and as far as I knew, healthy and active. Gayle said Anne had complained of a persistent headache, her son took her to the emergency room, she was admitted, and died shortly thereafter. Here's Anne, who also ran a program at the hospital:

Gayle will keep me informed with more information and funeral plans.

😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔😔

I wasn't looking forward with much enthusiasm to the affair yesterday at the Universalist Unitarian church, but I had told Stella I'd go and didn't want to renage. As it turned out, though, I enjoyed it immensely. Here's the program:

Stella was late picking me up--while I waited, I call Jeanne Painter to see how her wrist was. Good, she said, and she gets the cast off today.  I was surprised when she told me it was 75 degrees where she was--until I realized that was Florida, not Jersey.

Stella and I drove to the church meeting hall and I perked up when I saw there was a wine table--who would've thunk it?--and we sat down with a friend of hers and some neighbors, including a guy named Roger. After we sat down and started talking, I found he was an avid pickleball player. I told him I have family connections and he knows one of them.

The food, for a buffet-type spread, was standard, but really good--various types of lasagna, including vegan, both green and fruit salad, rolls, veggies, and other sides. Dessert was all homemade--cakes, cookies, and so on--along with coffee, tea, fruit juice, and so on, which I skipped favor of prosciutto. 

The program was interesting, with some of the city council speaking, as well as program volunteers from the church. I spoke to one and complained mildly about the bike riders on Main Street--forget the homeless, this is important stuff!--but we mostly joked around. There was a silent auction and talks from those helped by the program.   

Got home at 3:00 and did some filing and other paperwork, then just this and that.  The Firestick still isn't working, so I can't get Netflix. All that comes on is cable and only some kind of Smart TV with a crime show. Guess I'll have to pursue it further. 

Lunch at the library with Diane today.

No comments:

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...