Sunday, February 18, 2024

Saturday

Preparing for my company, I first made the ice cream. It's amazing how simple it is--just whip a pint of heavy cream, fold it into sweetened condensed mile and vanilla, add flavorings (although it's good as just plain vanilla, too), then put it in a parchment-lined loaf pan and freeze. Then prepared the main dish: chicken breast rubbed with a combination of spices and slow-cooked for several hours.  After that, I made corn bread, which is just corn meal, flour, egg, milk, flour, and baking soda. I've been having plant-based "milk" on my oatmeal and I was delighted that it worked fine. With baby potatoes and string beans, it made a good meal. 

When I finished, I was surprised to see it wasn't even 10 am. I then straightened up a little and considered different arrangements to make use of my new bookcase. I can't wait to transfer books from the two medium bookcases in my bedroom and I'm going to make use of one of them. The other I'll probably first put on Ventura Buy and Sell and if it doesn't, I'll donate it. 

I was please when James C., the brother of my former neighbor, Benny, called to invite Vickie and me about the memorial service for Bennyon on March 16. The ashes will be scattered in Ventura Harbor, then lunch will follow. Do I want to go? Absolutely--I'm very much interested. When my guests got here, I asked Vickie and she does, too, so we're both looking forward to it.

My little dinner party was a great success. We sat and chatted with appetizers first--Jack cheese, crackers, and shelled pistachios--and Jim read his Maria Callas essay,  Of course, that went over very big and I was glad he had suggested it. The chicken I served really is about the best and most tender I've ever had--and so simple to make. Both Suzanne and Vickie asked for the recipe (Jim? HA!)  Maybe because all three tend toward frozen, canned, and readymade, they raved over the meal. (Oh, Mimi, quit pretending you make everything you put in your mouth from you-know-what.)

We sat talking after dinner until almost eight, then S. and V. left. Jim and I moved over to the couch and talked for another hour. I was glad he seemed more animated; I think he loosened up a bit by reading his essay. He finally left about 9:30, I cleaned up, then went to bed without my TV hour. I wish I had thought to take a selfie, but other than that, all went well.

No comments:

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...