Sunday, July 09, 2023

Saturday: Ojai And Geraniums

Left at 10:00 or caught the bus to Ojai. I met up with Vickie as I was coming out the gate and we chatted while she walked with me for a time. Got to Ojai at noon and Mike and Ellen picked me up. We had lunch, then Mike, Violet, and I walked to a nearby store for the hundred bucks Mike had won on some silly lotto thing. He then treated us to an ice cream cone at "The Jolly Cone."

We loafed around, talking and laughing, until Mike went to the gym and the three of us played Blokus (I actually won a game, thank Zeus). Greg was still in Santa Barbara, so Mike and Ellen fired up the barbecue; here, they look a little dubious about it:  

However, Mike put chicken thighs on and slathered them with the barbeque sauce he had bought at Sunset Farms, where we stopped on the way back from Morro Bay. They were excellent and so was the rice Ellen made, plus a few sides. Greg got back from five o'clock mass and made up his own, as he keeps to an all organic, semi-vegan diet. 

After, we played some more cutthroat games of Blokus, then the four of us went outside to wait for the Access Van to take me home. Said goodbye to Mike and Violet; today, he's flying back to Singapore and she'll enter camp.  Mike will be back in twenty days to pick up Violet, so I'll see them again then. 

These are the lillies Ellen gave me for Easter several years ago. When the gate was installed, I had to cut them to the ground because it swings inward. But glory be: They came back to life and are beautiful; two more are about to bloom. 
But all is not sunshine and roses. When I got up and opened the patio blinds just now, disaster had struck :
I don't know how it happened, but my vining geranium had fallen on the lillies. They're on a trellis and it must have been insecure or something. Hope I can fix it without too much problem.

Rehearsal today is called for 1:00 to 5:00, so should be pretty intense. Ken will pick me up and take me home. 

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...