Sunday, July 23, 2023

Satisfying Saturday

After a rocky start, it turned out to be a good day. I spent several hours in the morning filing crapola and otherwise attending to long-neglected paper/computer work. When I turned to the two items I was sending back to Amazon--the hearing aid and the air fryer--I got more and more frustrated. I couldn't make head nor tail out of the instructions for the former and I couldn't get the fryer packed back in the box properly in the box; worse, it wouldn't fit in my cart. How in the world would I get it to Kohl's (they accept Amazon returns) on the bus? I certainly couldn't carry it; maybe I'd have to ask someone to drive me or get the Access Van....

As a diversion, I texted Ellen to see if she wanted to see the movie, Oppenheimer* some day while it's in town. She texted me back, saying she did and she also wanted to get out of the house--great! After a brief exchange, she came over, bringing lunch and we had a good, long mother/daughter session. We strolled out to the middle next to the pool (which I must say, much as I complain about the place, is really beautifully planted and maintained) and had a long heart-to-heart. We then went in to lunch, after which, Ellen tried her best to get me to be able to wear the hearing aid. We struggled over it for about an hour and she was soul of patience, but no luck. We made the joint decision that I would go the conventional route of seeing an audiologist first.

After, we walk for a half hour to the higher elevation above where I live, then she took me to Fed-Ex to return the Amazon goods, but we found they would charge; Kohl's doesn't, so we went there next. I had all the paperwork, but was incredulous it was so quick and easy--good to know! 

Home, and we said goodbye after a fine, fun, and fulfilling day. What's more, we made a tentative date to see either Oppenheimer or Barbie--we both want to see both--on Tuesday and that will be a treat, too.      

* Several years ago, I visited White Sands, New Mexico, and toured the site of the Manhattan Project. Here I am with the statues of Oppenheimer and the photo from which it was copied:

This is Oppenheimer and General Leslie Groves, presumably inspecting the carnage after the atomic blast. They seem to be congratulating each other on the job well done. 
O horror, horror, horror! Tongue nor heart cannot conceive nor name thee!...(Macbeth)

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...