Thursday, June 18, 2020

Slow And Slavery

Slow in the morning, but somewhat livelier (or what passes for lively in my drab life) later. Early on, at loose ends, I actually spent time playing games on the laptop. Did a puzzle of the brothers and sisters of the Dionne Quintuplets (when they had just been born, that is; they had three more brothers after). Went to Von's for lettuce and got a nice piece of tilapia.
Betty called, upset over the sentiment on one of the Fathers Day cards Carolyn bought for her. I thought it was cute and funny--something about hot sauce--but she was incensed. A few years ago, she would have loved it, but now she thinks it's insulting. I told her I'd get her another one and I did, as schmaltzy as they get.
I saw a YouTube video on the Washington Plantation life of slaves, researched and written by one of their descendants, an historian. I was entranced and it occurred to me that I know very little about that base practice, so much a part of our history. The video was riveting and I sent to Amazon for the book:

Ellen had told me the reason I couldn't connect with Lolly on video on Tuesday was because I was on the bus, then the street and didn't have WiFi. I called Lolly and sure enough, we could see each other.
After lunch, I rode into town, but just walked around a bit. I was pleased to see a fair amount of people at the restaurant extensions set up in the street--I hope to be there is I can ever find anyone to lunch with. I bused back and didn't get off until I was near Wal-Mart. Went in for Saran wrap and the card, then walked home, so I got about three in.
I still had to deal with the chicken carcass I had done in the slow cooker and put in the fridge. I strained it and put the broth in the freezer for the next time I make black beans.
Had the tilapia for dinner along with broccoli and roasted mushrooms and it was delicious.

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...