Thursday, June 11, 2020

Talking On The Telephone

Wednesday was a telephone and talk day. Talked to Betty early on, then my old friend and HSHS classmate, Mary Hoffman called and we had a long gabfest (as the old celeb columnists used to say). I then called Fred D., Marge D.'s husband and, like my brother, Larry, he talked for a long, long time, ranging over various subjects, all of which either angered or alarmed him. I listened, though--Fred has had a more difficult life than most people do and he doesn't often get a chance to share it.
Suzanne knocked on my door while I was talking to Fred, so after we hung up, I reciprocated and we sat out front and chatted. Our across-the-lawn neighbor, a young man named Gilbert, came out and stood--six feet away or more--to tell us he had had a fever last week, was afraid that was "IT," but the doctor tested and it wasn't.
By then, it was noon, and Suzanne and I went in; shortly thereafter, she texted me that there was a fire between Ventura and Santa Paula. I went out to check, and yes, there was a column of smoke in the hills:
I alerted Ellen by text and we went back and forth, then she called and we talked. Planes were circling overheard and, I guess, dropping water or chemicals to put it out.  By the time I left for town about 3:00, I could no longer see smoke.
Just before that, Fred called back with my friend, Marge, on the line. We talked for a time, but she had some problem hearing and/or understanding me. She's failing, I think. Marge is almost exactly ten years older than I am; she's the one who introduced me to acting in Sunrise Bay. I always liked her so much and, like Fred, she hasn't had an easy life: first husband abusive, daughter died in her fifties. Lots of misery in this world, that's a cinch.
I had just gotten to the transit center when Stella called. We talked for some time, while I was waiting for the next bus and after I got on it. Yesterday was the second anniversary of her husband's death and she was feeling so sad--cried a little, but that's all right, of course.
I walked The Promenade and was pleased to see so many enjoying the beach. Now they can officially stand, sit, and sunbathe, which they had before anyway and good for them. 
I liked being there, but it was so ungodly hot, I thought discretion was the better part of--well, avoiding a sun stroke, or something, so I walked back to Main, boarded my bus, and went home. Stopped for grapes and eggs at Von's. Betty called one more time when I was about to sit down for dinner. We chatted a bit--she repeated a lot, as usual, but that was okay. 
El is coming over today, bringing her lunch. I'll take mine and we'll sit out by the center fire pit and pool and have a lovely time. Coincidentally, I just got an email from management that they were opening "the amenities." I hope that means the pool, too, not that we'll swim today, as the heat has eased and it's pleasantly cool.



2 comments:

iloveac said...

Rosemary,
Your phone camera takes very good photos...at least the ones you post. Does it also take video clips?

Mimi said...

Yes, but I don't usually do that--not sure why, I just don't, but one of these days--watch out!

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...