Monday, June 08, 2020

The Rally

Did my usual Sunday/Funday (well, not that much fun) morning stuff.  After, I put some already overnight-soaked black beans in the slow cooker; chopped two big onions to add with seasonings and let 'er simmer.
Walked to Smart 'n' Final and got my first three miles in. Besides lettuce, I picked up herb and garlic oil, which is great on both chicken and fish, some non-salt seasonings, ground turkey, and sugar-free caramels.Lunched, fooled around on the Internet, then left about 3:00 for the Black Lives Matter rally.
It was officially at the government center on Victoria Avenue, about one and a quarter miles away, but spilled over--according to the Ventura Star, there were about 2,000 there--up and down the street.  That was a much larger crowd than I had expected, almost all young people, which is heartening, I suppose, but where in the world were those my age? Or even my children's ages? Home counting over George Floyd's sins, I guess. Several people on Facebook listed his long rap sheet, which, of course, means a policeman has the right to murder him on sight.  However, the people yesterday were not of that persuasion, of course.
I was holding my sign, so had a chance to take only one picture. I asked this family group if they'd allow me to take it, and they did. I was charmed by their sign: "It's not pie"--exactly!
Here are some others taken by friends of mine:

Walked home the long way, so totaled about six for the day. 
As for the BLM thing: I'm anything but a fan of the latest neo-lib craze. The "pink hat" thing came and went, as did Saint Greta, as did any number of other "movements" orchestrated by big government, big media, and the ad agencies to which they pay millions of tax dollars. An insidious example is the "thank a soldier" thing. I hear and read this over and over, in person and on Facebook. I posted a picture of my siblings on the Ventnor beach, c. 1942, and mentioned that my older brother, now 94, was drafted shortly after it was taken. A dozen or more commentators wrote some variation of "thank you for your service." That kind of thing is so robotic, it's actually scary. 
With that said, I'll add this: The murder of George Floyd was so egregious--and so noticed, that's the important thing--that I wanted to add my presence to some kind of protest to the millions over the world who did.
I just wish they were as demonstrative protesting our everyday murders of non-Americans overseas.
  



No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...