Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Tuesday

As mentioned, I was awakened at 5:48 by several text messages from Jersey.  (It wasn't a big deal for me, as I get up at 6:30 anyway, but I think my friend, Pat, might have been somewhat perturbed.)
After I poured my coffee, I got back to them, including "Chilly Willy," to whom I gave Eileen's phone number. I also called the other outfit Eileen had found, but they wouldn't be able to come until Thursday or Friday. Anyhoo--upshot was that Willy got there, found the problem (no refrigerant), called me, said he would add it for $450, I said go ahead, he did, and now all is cool, literally and figuratively...
...except: Willy said if it kept losing the stuff, the whole system would probably have to be replaced and we're talking thousands of dollars here. Well, let's hope and anyway, the crisis if over for now...
...except: Eileen also informed me that one of the sprinkler heads is shooting water ten feet in the air AND the bushes on the side are encroaching on the soffit, whatever that is. She said she called Bob Szabo to deal with that. I called and left a message for Tony C., the landscaper who had done similar work for me last year. I hope that's the end of my housing woes.
I spent most of the morning on food prep: chunked three pounds of tomatoes and some large onions, oiled, vinegared, and seasoned, then roasted. Chopped three other onions and stowed in freezer. Did the same with two bananas. Cleaned and trimmed Brussels sprouts and sliced the nice green pepper Ellen had given me.
Lunch, then it was off to town and the library. As I came up to the outside area where they bring your books, I saw a stylish (very thin, with sharp features and short, wavy, grey hair that looked like a million bucks) and who was it but my former Kimball Park walking semi-pal, Carolyn S. She had her ugly little dog, Hazel, with her and we happily got reacquainted. She left her car and I left my books and we walked together a mile or so down Main. I took her to the little park near the museum, which she hadn't seen before.
It was enjoyable seeing her again, although we actually have little in common. She and Robert are kind of society types, or whatever you call them nowadays, and I just don't relate. (She was amazed and seemed to think it was very daring of me to join the BLM protest.) However, they had come to see me at the Maritime Museum and I appreciated that. She asked if she could take me home, but I refused with thanks, saying my daughter really didn't like me getting into cars. The fact is, I would have let her if I had wanted to continue chatting, but I didn't.
Incidentally, Betty called me four times during the day with a confused (as ever) problem about her lunch not being left at her door. It's just too long and involved to explain the situation, but I think--hope--it's resolved. Caught the 16 bus and was home at 5:00.

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...