Wednesday, June 03, 2020

Lunch At Lure And Coffee

Up and at 'em at my usual wake-up of 6:30. Coffee, shower, breakfast, and Betty called. She wanted me to suggest what to put on her granddaughter's graduation card (sigh...). I called Nancy after that and we chatted; we still haven't figured out how to get each other on Zoom. Left for Lure Fish House and lunch with Lora (alliteration--I love it!) and met her about 12:10; we were both early.
What a wonderful time we had! It's been so long since either of us had been at a restaurant that it was a thrill to be greeted, taken to a table, handed a menu, order, get served, and eat something we hadn't made ourselves.
We also talked and talked and talked. Lora (I actually prefer that spelling to the usual) and I are in T.O.P.S. together and hit it off when we met at the meeting. I had thought she was about my daughter's age, late fifties, but she's actually several years older. She was born and brought up here, married, two adopted children, and has her own travel agency. Unfortunately, travel has dropped dead along with everything else, but she's still planning a trip to Switzerland and one to Scotland.
I don't eat red meat as a rule, so ordered a rare hamburger, with fried onions and oh, how I enjoyed it. I enjoyed the ice-cold IPA, too, that's a cinch.
We parted after almost two hours and I walked to The Promenade. Took the opposite route from my usual, then went up to Thompson and Main, totaling about four miles, which was good. When I got home, Suzanne rang my bell and we sat out front and talked for forty-five or so, mostly about the George Floyd murder and subsequent events. That was enjoyable, too, of course, but...
********************
...what I found when I just now got up definitely wasn't: Coffee all over the counter and the floor, with streams of it down the cabinet door. How did this happen? Every day, I set up my coffee maker for the next. When I get up--as in just now--I stumble to the kitchen and, half asleep, press the "on" button. I then go back to wash my face and so on, get my first cup of coffee, and sit down at this laptop. At 8:00, I have breakfast, with the second cup of coffee. What happened yesterday was, I didn't notice that I had set the pot askew, so most of the coffee flowed down the sides and onward. Well, it took me an age to clean up the mess, so lesson learned.
Here's another lesson learned after reading the above: I'm realize I tend to be too verbose. I need to take a page from my friend, Jim W.'s, pristine prose (okay, mixed metaphor, so shoot me) and clean that up, as well, maybe as in:
I just spent time cleaning up several cups of coffee spilled on counter and floor. I had set the pot askew yesterday and didn't notice.
Better? But then this: Had to clean up spilled coffee and make new--set pot askew.
And there's a rhyme, too--top that, Jim!

No comments:

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...