Saturday, June 06, 2020

The Library, Lolly, And Larry*

It was a good, active day--just the kind I like best.
Got help from Ellen in setting up the Zoom thing and scheduled it for 3:00. Called Nancy and she was game to try again, but we were both far from confident early on.
Went over to Vons for raw frozen shrimp (two pounds for ten bucks) and more blueberries. Walked to the Market for broccoli, grapes, and other produce.
After lunch, I spent an hour laboriously continuing the transcription of my father's diary; I'm still only in early February, but I'll try to do at least a few pages every day.
Just before 3:00, Lolly, from T.O.P.S. called about setting up a Zoom meeting for members. I said I'd talk to her about it later, since my own was about to start. It did, and Nancy and I had a great session. She had her glass of Chardonnay and I opened my Blue Moon, so finally, at long last, we had our Happy Hour. Actually, it was only for a half hour, but that was just right. As soon as we signed off, I hightailed it to the bus stop to go into town and the library.
The Ventura Library, which was one of my haunts pre-C, has just opened for "curbside." The idea is, you request a book on-line, then go there and they give it to you. I did exactly that and am looking forward to The Body, by Bill Bryson, one of my favorites. That happens to be the very book I ordered on April 21 from an outfit with Amazon and which never arrived. I'm now going to insist on a refund. On the bus home, Betty called and we had one of our vague and rambling conversations. Had the shrimp for dinner and oh, mama, was that good. Added fresh broccoli, but will save the mushrooms for tomorrow.
Lolly and I reconnected. She's planning a Zoom meeting for T.O.P.S. on Friday afternoons and will send an email to members on Wednesday.
This is my brother, Larry's, eighty-eighth birthday. He's my middle brother, papa to a huge family and still, in his slow, deliberate way, a fully-engaged active man. I love him dearly. Here he is, holding my hand, a few years ago, in Ventnor:
* The three "Ls" worked out great!


4 comments:

iloveac said...

Invite me to one of your zoom meetings....You are so adorable in that photo.

Ellen said...

That photo is very nice, but Uncle Larry's shoulders look so high. Was he just being exuberant, or did he wear a backbrace?

Mimi said...

No, he was just shy or something--shrugging. Do you remember seeing the full picture? All but Gene at the monument?

Mimi said...

Pat, yes, we'll have to do Zoom one of these days--or even Skype or Facebook Messenger video. Adorable? Why, thank you!

Tuesday

 Did a color wash when I got up, had breakfast, then dressed and waited outside for the Lyft to take  me to the dentist. Annoyingly, when I ...