Friday, July 31, 2020

Laws

Yes, Housman's sentiments in that poem are mine, exactly. Those laws are not my laws and yesterday made me feel these words:
I, a stranger, and afraid 
In a world I never made.
It was just that nothing much good happened. Betty called to read me some things in which I had no interest, I expressed my discouragement because of what follows below, and as ever, she immediately turned back to her ten-year-old concerns. 
I changed the passwords on my bank accounts and Vanguard, as well as other sites, but I have a lot more to go. I sent to the first few groups my new email address, which was tedious because most of the addresses didn't transfer over. 
At 2:00, as instructed, I called the attorney about our dispute with management about the new (extra) utilities bill. We didn't even talk the whole half hour; he said we didn't  have a case, even though he agreed this was a rent increase in disguise. He did say there were two ways we could react: Demand an accounting every month of the aggregate utility charges, to check the percentage we're being charged and simply don't pay the bill, as they can't evict at this time. When I questioned that, he said it wouldn't lower one's credit rating. 
However, I'm not going to do either. When I wrote the above information to the others, I said I was no longer going to spend time or energy on it. Another problem cropped up that threw me for a loop: Eileen, my tenant in Jersey texted me that the air had again stopped. I had intended to ask Chilly Willie to start on it, anyway, but I thought it would last long enough to get him there. Eileen was rather testy about it and I offered to pay for her to go to a motel tonight. She turned this down and I just hope William (that's his real name) will do the damn thing today .
Anyway, after all that, I had to get out. I bused to the mall/transit center, intending to go to town, but instead, walked up to Lowe's to look for a filing cabinet. They don't carry them. Went to a few other stores, but didn't see what I wanted, so took the 10 home.
I called Suzanne to see if she wanted to sit out front and chat and she did. It helped a bit to do that. I had called Mary Hoffman to chat and she called me back about 6:30. Ellen then called and she had had a lousy day, too, so we commiserated with each other, which helped a bit, too.
I guess the only good thing that happened was that the printer is working again. Long story I won't go into, but I'm in such a low mood, I'm doubting if it will stayed fixed.
(I added the poem as another entry here.)


No comments:

Thursday And Stella

Did a lot of "business work" all morning and early afternoon. As l was about to stop for lunch, Stella called to say she is being ...